Lye burn and the aftermath...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
First off... Happy New Year!
Due to this stupid hand, I've been unable to soap for quite some time, and it made me fairly depressed to see everyone's lovely work, so I haven't been on much lately.
At some point, apparently I had a small tear in one of my gloves in between my pinky and ring fingers. Unfortunately, for a while, it was misdiagnosed. It went away, mostly, but returned more than once. I don't want to gross any of you out, but please, check your gloves each and every time you put them on!!
I'm hoping to get the ok from the Dr. to start soaping this week.
On a wonderful note, my husband (whom I love very much, but he works on the 2 year plan to get anything done...lol), emptied out what is going to be my workshop!!! So I've been cleaning and painting!

IMG_20151230_004335.jpg

Oh my goodness!! That does not look good! I hope you are not in too much pain and I admire your soaping spirit.

Yes, checking gloves is so important. Sometimes we forget that checking PPE is just as important as remembering to put it on! Thank you for this reminder.

Please do feel better soon!!

Oh my goodness Stacy, that is very ugly and mean looking. Did you end up with some complications healing or the normal slow healing of a burn? Hopefully it will be completely healed soon and you can get back to what you like to do. Lye just has no mercy when it hits our skin and it makes one wonder why some folks choose to soap without gloves.

Ack! I will be checking my gloves. So sorry this happened to you. Hopefully it wont be much longer for you to get back to soaping. Congratulations on your new space. I would love to see some pictures when possible and if you have time.

Sere

It's more just annoying now...lol...hopefully the worst of the pain has passed. I think the healing process has been prolonged because the first Dr I went to diagnosed it as poison oak... I know I will be fairly paranoid from now on...

Oh my goodness Stacy, that is very ugly and mean looking. Did you end up with some complications healing or the normal slow healing of a burn? Hopefully it will be completely healed soon and you can get back to what you like to do. Lye just has no mercy when it hits our skin and it makes one wonder why some folks choose to soap without gloves.

Thanks all for the well wishes! I'm going to believe the worst is over, and that things will only get better from here!

Oh dear. I truly hope it heals soon, and stays that way. Thank you for posting - we can't have too many reminders. I always wear gloves, but now I will be checking them carefully.

I liked your photo because it's a reminder of just what can happen if we are careless with lye or lye solution (or in your case, an accident happens). I think this is a good photo to drive home some of the seriousness of our craft to fool hardy people who want to learn to soap but are too lazy to do their research. On that note, I wish you the best of recoveries. That looks like it hurt like a beast. :cry:

Oh ow! My hands started hurting looking at this, but really I can't begin to imagine how much it must hurt.
Are you habitually around poison oak in the middle of winter so that was a valid diagnosis? That just seems so odd.
I hope that your recovery is speedy now that you've gotten the correct diagnosis and treatment.

That right there is why I buy and use disposable gloves. By the box. Once the lye has "taken root" there is very little that can be safely done.

Prayers for quick healing and rest in the mean time.
Thank you for posting the painful reminder.

Back