Lye-based soap vs. synthetic detergent for dogs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leahjo534

Reaction score
In my original thread, I didnt know really what castor soap was and definitely not synthetic detergent. Since then, I have spent days(and nights) doing TONS of research. @Zany_in_CO recommended I start a whole new thread so here we arešŸ˜‰

Before we get started having a friendly discussion, I'd like to say that in reading posts about dog shampoo, the controversy level is astounding. Everyone is going to have different opinions about what they think is best for their dog. If someone says "I bathe my dog with peanut butter", instead of telling them they shouldn't do that, you can say "i'd suggest adding abit of coconut oil to that". So let's try to work with eachother instead of against eachother. Let's talk science instead of opinions.

Firstly I want to post this for anyone that needs it. When doing my research this is what took me that longest to figure out when really everyone should know!
20211116_222503.jpg

I'm looking into making a liquid dog shampoo as I find the bar soap is kinda inconvenient for me.

I couldn't find any castor oil dog shampoo recipes made from scratch but I do believe with more research and experience I could develop one.

As of right now, I'm looking into making a sydnet dog shampoo. I've found several recipes and would like to know what people have to say about them.

Screenshot_20211116-223202_Chrome.jpg

https://www.soapmakingmagazine.co.uk/blog/index.php/2019/12/11/diy-dog-shampoo-recipe/
20211116_223412.jpg
20211116_223359.jpg

https://www.makingcosmetics.com/Pets-Product-Formulas_ep_102.html
20211116_223359.jpg

Last edited:
hmmm... So I make both liquid and solid sydent shampoos. I've used both on my dog. And honestly , the first one seems the simplest specifically for a pet. And if I was making it only for my pet I don't think I would add the Panthenol... #1 because its expensive and #2 it's a the shampoo is a wash off product and it would seem a waste to me. Also I was looking up the Plantapon LGc and MakeYourOwn says "Just add the CocoBetaine, and the LGC Sorb, to water fragrance and preservative in the proportions you want to get the look, foam and feel you want and you have a great shampoo or body wash or shampoo. " So it sounds like a pretty versatile natural anionic surfactant.

Also I just read on another post here about preservatives, someone mentioned that the Benzyl Alcohol, which I have never used, was not a broad spectrum preservative and need combined with another preservative to cover all the bases. So maybe the simple recipe is not the best.... And as I look at the last two... I thought tea tree essential oil was not healthy for dogs, I know I have to be very careful with it as to not irritate my skin. So the MakingCosmetics 1102 may be a good option. The panthenol and aloe10x is optional if you want to save some money on supplies.

Also I just read on another post here about preservatives, someone mentioned that the Benzyl Alcohol, which I have never used, was not a broad spectrum preservative and need combined with another preservative to cover all the bases. So maybe the simple recipe is not the best.... And as I look at the last two... I thought tea tree essential oil was not healthy for dogs, I know I have to be very careful with it as to not irritate my skin. So the MakingCosmetics 1102 may be a good option. The panthenol and aloe10x is optional if you want to save some money on supplies.
Ya I decided not to the go with the first, simple one. I was going to cause of the small amount of different ingredients and when I started trying to buy the ingredients, I couldn't find one of them so i abandoned that journey.

I was confused too why they put tea tree on there! AND it says the recipe is for cats too!!!šŸ˜³ umm... okaaaay
So I did research on what essential oils are cat safe and there seemed to be controversy in that area too. Idk if I already mentioned but after using this soap on my dog, I am planning on adding it to my etsy shop. I plan on having a essential oil free option available also.
I did end up going with the "Mild Conditioning Pet Shampoo" recipe and purchased all the supplies on MakingCosmetics which is where the recipe came from too.

Last edited:
I didnt mix the guar gum in well enough so there's some chunks floating around.
When working with guar gum I've found it's best to allow the powder to hydrate for 5-15 minutes, before adding heat to mix. This is similar to using Knox Gelatin in cooking. You can try warming the batch to about 140Ā°F and giving it a full one-minute stir (not SB) to see if it incorporates. :thumbs: ;)

Veterinarian here! Your formula looks great for dogs! I'll be interested to hear if you like it--and if your puppy does, too.

I also wanted to chime in--you correctly seemed skeptical about the wisdom of using EOs on cats. It isn't controversial in the medical field: the major liver enzyme pathway that the rest of use to break down chemicals (including in EOs) is pretty limited in cats. They don't tolerate a lot of things that dogs can handle. It's why if you put a flea collar made for a 12lb dog onto a 12lb cat, the best case scenario is a day or two of generalized seizures. Anyway, I don't know of any proven "safe" EO for use on cats. Here's a quick little summary from Hill's (I am not endorsing Hill's. I am just sharing an article for anyone who comes across this thread and wants more information): Essential Oils for Cats: Are They Safe?

Thanks for starting this thread!

When working with guar gum I've found it's best to allow the powder to hydrate for 5-15 minutes, before adding heat to mix. This is similar to using Knox Gelatin in cooking. You can try warming the batch to about 140Ā°F and giving it a full one-minute stir (not SB) to see if it incorporates. :thumbs: ;)
Thanks! ;)

Veterinarian here! Your formula looks great for dogs! I'll be interested to hear if you like it--and if your puppy does, too.

I also wanted to chime in--you correctly seemed skeptical about the wisdom of using EOs on cats. It isn't controversial in the medical field: the major liver enzyme pathway that the rest of use to break down chemicals (including in EOs) is pretty limited in cats. They don't tolerate a lot of things that dogs can handle. It's why if you put a flea collar made for a 12lb dog onto a 12lb cat, the best case scenario is a day or two of generalized seizures. Anyway, I don't know of any proven "safe" EO for use on cats. Here's a quick little summary from Hill's (I am not endorsing Hill's. I am just sharing an article for anyone who comes across this thread and wants more information): Essential Oils for Cats: Are They Safe?

Thanks for starting this thread!
Thank you for that! I guess I'll label this one for dogs and make a fragrance free for dog AND catsšŸ˜Œ

Okay I cannot get over how good my pupper's coat looks after using my shampoo. I've used so many different brands including Burts Bees, Mane and Tail, & even coconut oil for moisturizer & shine and her coat has never looks THIS good!
I'm trying to resist the urge to post all 6 pictures of her looking so finešŸ˜
20211202_122904.jpg

20211202_122946.jpg

Thank you for that! I guess I'll label this one for dogs and make a fragrance free for dog AND catsšŸ˜Œ

I've bought a leave on product for cleaning cats and dogs that is scented with vanilla extract. I use it on my dog and I think it is the only product that doesn't make him sneeze. Do you think vanilla extract is ok for cats, @Sarah B? The label says pets can lick the product from their fur and it won't cause them any harm.

Latest posts

Back