Lye at home

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wear goggles , special face mask, the unit i worked on closed so i got to bring it home , gloves and put an elastic on the cuffs of my sleeves, had really staticy lye that flew up my sleeve. Closed toed crocs.

Kitn

I have you all beat...
I mix mine in an unventilated, dark closet wearing only sandles.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just joking...

I mix all of my lye up ahead of time in a 50/50 blend which works great for RTCP or HP.

I mix outside in a rubbermaid pitcher... usually when no one else is home. I leave that out of sight in the bed of my pickup truck to cool... then pour into a heavy plastic laundry detergent bottle.

I use the same clear goggles I use when doing my yard work. They wrap around my face like sunglasses. I also wear disposable latex gloves. When I'm soaping I don't bother with the gloves but I ALWAYS wear my goggles... I usually forget they are there.

All of my lye, mixed and dry, lives in a cabinet with my bulk oils in my laundry room which is often where I soap... so the lye only comes out of the cabinet for a few minutes.

My lye only stays outside for a short while...does that count?. I mix it with the water and let it sit for a few minutes so most of the fumes can dissipate, and I stir it to break up any clumps, and then bring it back inside to finish cooling down.

I have the 2-lb containers from AAA chemicals. I only open them when I am measuring out the lye and then put the cap back on. I don't put them in any other container additionally, and I have not had any problems with this.

Chris

I'm horrible, I admit it.

I don't use gloves, goggles, or any protective gear. I mix in short sleeves and shorts, but at least I always have shoes on.

I mix mine up ahead of time. I mix usually 3 pounds of lye at one time then store it in an air tight plastic jug well labeled.

I understand the danger of working with lye, but I also realize I've been cleaning my drains for years and never donned hazmat gear to do that so why start now ? As long as I'm careful it should be ok and like another poster stated, I'd prefer to know immediately if I do spill some on me.

Latest posts

Back