Lye and Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamahido

Paladin of Soap
Reaction score
The short answer -- NaOH has to dissolve and become a liquid solution before it can be used to make soap. So if you think any liquid will work to dissolve NaOH, then try it and find out -- does dry NaOH dissolve in oil? (It won't.) So if you mixed just fat and dry NaOH, you would be waiting a very long time to get your soap made.

The longer answer -- Water is a "polar" molecule, meaning it has a distinct negatively charged end and a distinctly positively charged end. NaOH is also a strongly polar molecule. Because both of these molecules are polar, water is able to dissolve solid NaOH. Other polar solvents besides water can be used to dissolve NaOH -- glycerin being an example.

When NaOH dissolves in water (or other appropriate solvent) it dissociates, meaning it breaks apart into Na+ ions and OH- ions. It is the Na+ ions that actually do the job of saponification, not the NaOH molecule. Water helps this dissociation process along, because it too can dissociate into H+ and OH- ions. Glycerin, despite being a polar molecule, doesn't dissociate as easily as water or NaOH, so one has to use heat and time to encourage the NaOH to dissolve in glycerin.

Fats are typically non-polar molecules, meaning a fat molecule doesn't have any region in its structure with a strong positive or negative charge. Non-polar molecules can dissolve other non-polar molecules, but they don't dissolve polar molecules.

Sorry for the bump, but how exactly do the Na+ and OH- ions react with triglycerides for saponification?

All the chemical reactions I've seen involve triglycerides and NaOH forming glycerol and soap.
So does the Na+ break the ester bonds or is it the OH- ions? I would think the OH- as it is a base
Is it that the OH- ions attach to form glycerol, and the Na+ ions attach to fatty acids?
@DeeAnna a little help?

Last edited:
@DeeAnna I also wanted to ask:

When soap touches water, the sodium ions break off, according to some pictures. However, why does this happen and what are the implications? I couldn't find any results on this. Thanks!

Soap can dissociate (break apart) when it is dissolved in water. Soap forms what's called a "buffer" when dissolved in water.

Soap also dissociates when exposed to various ions (electrically charged atoms or molecules). The most common example is when soap dissociates and then reacts with hard water minerals (typically calcium and magnesium) to form insoluble soap scum.

The implications of soap dissociating in various situations? I can't answer that, because the answer depends on the specific situation. In addition, the answer can't be summarized in a TL;DR version especially if your recollection of high school and freshman college chemistry classes is rusty.

I'd recommend learning about acid-base neutralization, the interactions between weak and strong acids and weak and strong alkalis, and how buffers work. Start here: Soapy Stuff

Latest posts

Back