lye & alcohol

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javaboon

Reaction score
Sooo, my first post.. Quite a difficult question in the beginning. I read a lot about using alcohol with lye. Don' t do it, it's dangerous etc. The thing is... I have a cologne that is not available in a FO so i kind of have to use alcohol with the cologne. First attempt was interesting. Fumes and a very strong reaction. Thank god for safety measures. After the reaction settles, things look quite normal. Tried a batch with hard fat that is now lying to rest. I do wonder what the addition of alcohol does with the chemical reaction, will this be any good?

btw, if my english is a bit off, that's because i am from the Netherlands.

I've been on an alcohol stint lately - first made a hard cider soap, then a beer soap, and now a champagne soap is underway. So far, so good and no hassles. Even the beer one I didn't;t find was too stinky when I mixed the lye in, but others say it can be.

After 24 hours of rest in a blanket, the soap popped out of the mold. I made 2 batches, bith with the cologne mixed with water in the lye, but split them up and in one of the two i also swirled some cologne. Both soaps hardened quick, the one with the swirl is sweating a bit, the other one is nice and dry. No signs of burning or ashing. One thing i should mention: I weighted the water/lye mix and came up short in grams, so i added a bit of water (about 10 grams). The receipe is 243 grams rind fat, 8 grams olive oil, 33 gram lye and 59 grams water 30 grams cologne (and 10grams water added afterwards).

I've been on an alcohol stint lately - first made a hard cider soap, then a beer soap, and now a champagne soap is underway. So far, so good and no hassles. Even the beer one I didn't;t find was too stinky when I mixed the lye in, but others say it can be.

I did aloe vera and a beer soap---the aloe vera really smelled, kinda mediciney but the beer wasn't just too bad and I think the soap kinda smells like beer--I used a soap that had some fruity stuff in it. I am going to get a stout beer to use cuz I want a darker soap but I don't drink the stuff so I wished I could just buy a bottle of it. my son did tell me it was beer abuse :)

The first soap batch smells like the original cologne, a bit less sweet, but clearly present.

Why would i blend it with a lotion? What would the purpose in the soap making process be?

No purpose in the soap making process - just an idea of you don't want to use it as a cologne for some reason.
Thanks, I might do that as well

I made a beer soap without removing the alcohol a while back. Made the soap really drying.
Hmm, interesting. I'll have to wait a few weeks to find out with this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did aloe vera and a beer soap---the aloe vera really smelled, kinda mediciney but the beer wasn't just too bad and I think the soap kinda smells like beer--I used a soap that had some fruity stuff in it. I am going to get a stout beer to use cuz I want a darker soap but I don't drink the stuff so I wished I could just buy a bottle of it. my son did tell me it was beer abuse :)
I don't drink beer either. Trader Joe's sells beer by the bottle. Black Toad makes a darker soap.

I don't drink beer either. Trader Joe's sells beer by the bottle. Black Toad makes a darker soap.

I drink beer just not stout :) but I have been wondering if I could buy by the bottle. never heard of black toad--it sounds interesting. my kid drinks the IPAs and stouts, that's why I thought I could get one from him. I will ask if I can buy by the bottle around st cloud then--thanks!! :)

I used to experiment with adding alcohol to the soap batter - I was using 95% ethanol, or everclear. The soap batter seizes almost immediately. Added it to the lye with same result - as soon as I add it to the melted fats it seizes so fast that it makes it impossible to pour into the mold. Had to save couple batches with hot method.
As far as chemical reaction - alcohol does not react with lye. It does but that reaction reverses back due to the nature of forming compounds.

interesting--do you mean you didn't cook it down? I let mine sit for 2 days in an open container--I wonder if the alcohol evaporated out
Right! I removed the carbonation by leaving it open in the refrigerator overnight. No cooking whatsoever was done before I froze it.

I used to experiment with adding alcohol to the soap batter - I was using 95% ethanol, or everclear. The soap batter seizes almost immediately. Added it to the lye with same result - as soon as I add it to the melted fats it seizes so fast that it makes it impossible to pour into the mold. Had to save couple batches with hot method.
As far as chemical reaction - alcohol does not react with lye. It does but that reaction reverses back due to the nature of forming compounds.
Thanks. It does indeed reacts a lot faster. Perhaps a compensation with a bit more overfatting would help with that?

If you really want to use that colgne in soap, how about doing a HP soap and adding it after cook? Never tried a cologne soap, but transparant soap is made by adding alcohol and
other solvents (glycerin and sugar solution) after HP cook, so I guess it could work?[emoji6] Might also preserve the scent better..

Latest posts

Back