lye & alcohol

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also look up the profile of the scent on a site like basenotes, then see about getting FOs and do it yourself. I make my own version of a very expensive aDt doing that
But you're not normal.....you've got some mad skills ;):p:D:D I couldn't blend a scent if I tried. My smeller isn't that good.

I think - I'm not sure and haven't invested the time into research - but I think there is a difference between the alcohol used in cologne and the drinking alcohol. I thought I had read somewhere that perfumers alcohol is denatured so that it is not drinkable. Now, I'm not entirely sure what is involved in the denatured process (or if I even have the right word...egads!) but it makes sense in my mind that there maybe a different result in soap from using a perfumers alcohol than the drinking alcohol in beer or liquors. I think the concern with perfumers alcohol is not knowing what it's made of, how much of the perfume/cologne is alcohol, and if what makes the scent are soap safe. I'm actually quite impressed that this particular experiment is working out, although I bet the repeatability with other perfumes / colognes may not be as good. I really appreciated reading the OP's experience, as I had thought it would yield results closer to the everclear experiment. I love these out of the box thinkings :D

But you're not normal.....you've got some mad skills ;):p:D:D I couldn't blend a scent if I tried. My smeller isn't that good.
LOL.
I would do the HP method to add the cologne as a scent. Seems easier/safer/error-prone.

I used dedatured alcohol in my recent first attempt at making transparant soap. I did a bit of research and apparently there are different ways of denaturing. Mine was denatured with bitrex, which is supposed to be completely harmless for humans but so incredibly bitter it makes it impossible to drink the alcohol.. I don't suppose the fact the alcohol is denatured will make it behave different in soap than regular alcohol..
Since it's cologne I guess the other ingredients should be skin-safe as well, especially in a wash-off product like soap, though of course it'll also depend on concentration..

I've never had a problem the few times I've abused beer by making soap. I just let the beer flatten and froze it - there is still alcohol in it.

As far as using cologne in soap, I don't think the full scent will come through. Sounds interesting though.

Thanks for the suggestions. HP is something I never tried (yet). Good idea for later. I will try another batch with a after shave I really like just to see if it will work. Have to wait for the weekend to do so.

If my soap loses scent, I put it in a ziplock with a small shot glass of fragrance oil, after curing. It really boosts the scent! Maybe add a small amount of your cologne to the batch, then try scenting them with the ziplock? Just out of curiosity, what’s the name of your cologne??

It's floïd black. Some Spanish after shave and cologne. Picked it up quite some time ago. The scent of the soap is quite good. I have to wait for another week before trying I think.

Hmm, looking at the bottle it says after shave, not cologne. I feel a bit stupid now...

Last edited by a moderator:
If you decide to try HP, it might be good to know it's not necessary to invest in a crockpot (which is hard to find and/or expensive in the Netherlands). I always use my oven to HP.. the process is very similar to cp, except you pop the soap batter in the oven at 70C to saponify. After that you add the fragrance and any other additives you might want to add. Keep us updated on how the soap performs and if the fragrance sticks!

crockpots are more common now here in the Netherlands. I do have one :). now i have to figure out how to do a proper HP. I will try the first bar of CP, the lye reaction will be settled now.

So, i tried the soap yesterday in the shower. The results are quite dissapointing, almost no lather, but that could be the too simple receipt. But the purpose was to use the alcohol based aftershave for the scent. That scent is almost gone. Perhaps i should use a HP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad the first try didn't work out the way you wanted! Fading scents are a pain.. HP could help, but if the scent fades that quickly chances are it'll also fade in HP (maybe just a little slower). You could still try a small batch and compare or try to find an FO that's similar to your after shave or even make your own blend!

@javaboon - I think cologne and aftershave are very close relatives, if not different names for the same things! @The Efficacious Gentleman can clarify for us!

Although i LOVE scented soaps in the shower, I find little if any of the scent stays with me. If you really want to have this scent in different formats that will "stay" with you - you might try in a simple lotion. I just made my first super simple lotion this past weekend and was SHOCKED at how easy it is! PM if you would like the recipe.

All - i don't think alcohol evaporates out of beer or the wine - at least not in the short term? I would guess the beer would go flat, the water in it would probably lead the evaporation parade, then may alcohol would join in? Just guessin!

It sounds like if I were to try beer in CP I can use it after it goes flat, without cooking out the alcohol? I will now go on a forum hunt! So much to learn, so little time!

Thanks all - love to learn, love this forum for learning!

All - i don't think alcohol evaporates out of beer or the wine - at least not in the short term? I would guess the beer would go flat, the water in it would probably lead the evaporation parade, then may alcohol would join in? Just guessin!
I feel we're off topic a bit - yes the alcohol in perfume/cologne/aftershave is ethyl alcohol, as is the stuff we drink. The perfumers alcohol is denatured, having other materials added to it, not changing it from ethyl alcohol but adding other things to overall composition. In my mind, that's enough to say "same but different".

That said... you might find this article interesting regarding cooking off alcohol. I found it in my digging the other day when I was trying to figure out the denatured alcohol info. It puts the info I had read in my husband's brew mag a bit more straightforward.
https://www.thoughtco.com/boiling-point-of-alcohol-608491

Back