Lust -Fragrance Buddy - blech so far

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsmar4211

Reaction score
I'm hoping maybe some miracle will happen and this one will change, but this has to be the worst smelling thing I've gotten so far.

"Lust is an appealing scent of dirty jasmine with additional notes of rose, ylang-ylang, sandalwood and vanilla"

I will grant them the dirty part, but I smell none of the rest. It smells like a gorillas hind end (well, what I think a gorilla's hind end would smell like). The tester bar has been banished to the back porch, heat or no heat. Out of the bottle it smelled even worse!

Or maybe I got a bad batch. Hoping someone will chime in and say that it's the best smelling thing ever? Until then....this one is a dud :(.

I've never smelled that particular FO, but ylang ylang is one of those funny scents that can smell really funky sometimes. It kills me when I fall for some description that sounds heavenly, and then......phew!!!

I've never smelled that particular FO, but ylang ylang is one of those funny scents that can smell really funky sometimes. It kills me when I fall for some description that sounds heavenly, and then......phew!!!

I know what you mean! Ylang ylang is not one of my favorite scents either. I keep it on hand because I make a blend with it that a family member of mine likes, but then again, she likes the scent of skunks, too. :lol:

IrishLass :)

Well I soaped it a little more than two weeks ago, and the first week and a it smelled like moth balls and caramel. The good news is that it does change quite a bit. At the two week point the uncolored batter is now a beautiful shade of pink, and I can actually pick up jasmine notes. I just did a small test sample, and I am not sure if I will mix in a little Honeysuckle Jasmine. This scent sticks really well, and it is still changing. How long ago did you make your batch? I agree that it is nasty at first.

Oliveoil-moth balls and caramel I can handle. To me...this smells like ...ok, it smells like when one of my rabbits needed help with their hind ends when they couldn't reach all the "folds" from being too pregnant. BLEH. I am a little more hopeful that mayyyybeee it will change due to your experience...but it's staying on the porch until then! Don't think I'll be adding it my "enjoyable to make" soap list.

Navigator and IrishLass-Having no experience with ylang ylang...maybe thats it. I won't be making any large purchases of it if that's the culprit LOL.

Andddd I now understand having a seperate soapy workshop OUT of the house!

This post finally got me out of lurking mode. I think the people who smelled this scent (including me) need a support group to help them deal with the trauma. This scent is horrid, the absolute worst thing that I've ever smelled. It smells after soaping like really bad body odor multiplied by 100. I almost threw up when I took the sample out of the yogurt cup. The first thing you see is a beautiful tangerine discoloration and then a truly horrific smell hits you. I used it at 5% of total batter which magnified the problem. I had to rush outside to get some air. I was nauseated for the rest of the day.

I thought it might be me, so I asked my husband to smell it. Big mistake!!! He couldn't smell anything else for 48 hours. I think some people might be very sensitive to it.

This scent should come with a warning not to ever use it with NaOH. Another scent, Tuca Tuca also has some of the same BO elements as Lust but to a much lesser extent. Both soaps were moved to a detached garage. I would never use them but I was curious what would happen with a long cure. At 4 weeks, Lust has lost some of the stinky smell. There is a heavy floral scent underneath the still present stinky elements. I don't think the Ylang Ylang is the problem. I'll update if any of the Ylang samples I'm testing have the same problem.

I've ordered close to a 100 1oz samples from Fragrancebuddy for testing. I guess it's time to write some reviews.

Soapmaker: PLEASE write some fragrance buddy reviews!!! I'm up to 20 samples myself. I feel like I'm alone in the ocean because I think maybe 3 other people post reviews on them LOL.

Glad I could get you out of lurking mode...and that it's not just my nose. Tried another sniff today so its, hrm, day 3? and I shouldn't have...

I'm hoping maybe some miracle will happen and this one will change, but this has to be the worst smelling thing I've gotten so far.

"Lust is an appealing scent of dirty jasmine with additional notes of rose, ylang-ylang, sandalwood and vanilla"

I will grant them the dirty part, but I smell none of the rest. It smells like a gorillas hind end (well, what I think a gorilla's hind end would smell like). The tester bar has been banished to the back porch, heat or no heat. Out of the bottle it smelled even worse!

Or maybe I got a bad batch. Hoping someone will chime in and say that it's the best smelling thing ever? Until then....this one is a dud :(.
I am chuckling about your description. I actually mixed up a scent with exactly the same scents of their description. Granted mine will not smell the same, but I can mention that I HATE it. Not sure what got into me that day but the combination of scents just does not work. It did mellow out after 6 months but I still have 14 bars sitting on the rack haunting me, have to mention it also does not sell so it came back to the rack. I am another that really hates ylang ylang

Glad to hear that I'm not alone, I first thought it was something wrong with my This smell was so weird that I did a little research on dirty jasmine, and it was a surprise to me most of them mentioned moth balls! Why would anyone want this in a scent? Mine will have been soaped 3 weeks ago this coming Sunday. The color is still getting more pink,and more floral, but it still has a long way to go before I would use it by itself again. I could only imagine if I put this out at a craft fair with the rest of my samples, I think people would run.
Soapmaker145 glad you are out of lurking mode, and really, really would love to hear some FB reviews, especially the Moonworks or Lush. I am testing some new ones, and will add them to the fragrance review sheet as I get them cured.

Very interesting...did you like it out of the bottle at all? I used some to make lotion and my husband LOVES when I have it on. I like it too--it smells like straight jasmine to me. But now I'm scared to soap with it!! Your description sounds pretty miserable!

I too have a ton of 1oz samples from fragrance buddy...time to just jump in I guess! I think I bought almost all of their lush dupes...what to make, what to make...

I thought that it would be a nice strong jasmine from the oob smell, I was reading that everyone has a different perception of the white flower Indolic scents. But still I am not in a hurry to try the Lust in any other products. I wondered if it might be better in lotion, or other bath and body products. FB usually does Holiday Sales, and I would love to hear test results.

Soapmaker: PLEASE write some fragrance buddy reviews!!! I'm up to 20 samples myself. I feel like I'm alone in the ocean because I think maybe 3 other people post reviews on them LOL.

Glad I could get you out of lurking mode...and that it's not just my nose. Tried another sniff today so its, hrm, day 3? and I shouldn't have...

I know exactly what you mean by being alone in an ocean of fragrances. You post made me realize that lurking "is not a victimless crime". There is so very little useful information on fragrances particularly since formulations change over time. I learned so much from the incredibly generous members of this forum. I'll post my reviews of all the fragrances I'm testing as a way of saying thank you. Lust is #237. I have a lot of writing to do.

I went out to the garage today and I can tell you the awful stench is completely gone. What is left is a nice unusual floral fragrance that I would consider adding to soap. It smells a lot like it smelled out of the bottle. You need to put a small drop on a piece of absorbent paper and let it air for a day or 2 to get a better feeling for the scent. It is way too strong straight out of the bottle.
I checked my notes and my soap is 27 days old. I can't believe I'm saying this but I can see how this scent might be very popular. I would add it at half the strength I used (6.5g in 140g batter) in a mold double lined with freezer paper. I'm keeping it in the garage for another month. I don't think it is done morphing yet.

I've attached pictures of Lust #237 and Tuca Tuca #208 so you can see the discoloration. Tuca discolored very slightly. Lust is a very pretty color as is. It would be very easy to swirl it with unscented batter for people who like to do that because the scent is so strong.

237_Lust1.jpg

237_Lust3.jpg

208_Tuca_Tuca1.jpg

I can't stand it out of the bottle .. Or even spilled on the bottle...it just has this rotten note to it. I will try the "drops on paper" test when I can bring myself to open the bottle again.... The test bar is still banished to the porch, it can stay for the 6 weeks I've given all the other ones :)

I will give you that it has a pretty discolor :). Pinkish so far.....

I can't stand it out of the bottle .. Or even spilled on the bottle...it just has this rotten note to it. I will try the "drops on paper" test when I can bring myself to open the bottle again.... The test bar is still banished to the porch, it can stay for the 6 weeks I've given all the other ones :)

I will give you that it has a pretty discolor :). Pinkish so far.....

You might be extra sensitive to this scent like my husband. Don't touch it until it is done curing. It just isn't worth it. It is too bad there is nothing natural that gives as nice a color in cp soap.

I just tested Midnight Jasmine from NDA. To me, it smells a lot like Lust but better and more subtle and no stinky anything (same usage rate). I think it can easily substitute for Lust. Don't know about fading yet.

I posted a list of the first 50 FOs from Fragrance Buddy. Please add the ones you are testing to my thread. I'll see if I have them if they are not already on the list. It'll be nice to have all the details in one place.

Soapmaker145 mine is smelling much nicer at 21 days, it is quite a bit darker than your Lust sample. I was thinking the same thing about swirling with unscented batter. I also just tested the Midnight Jasmine from NDA and probably my nose acting up but I can't smell much of anything. I also have the Jo Malone Dupe of Honeysuckle Jasmine, and was thinking about mixing it with the Lust when I get brave, but worry that it will be overpowered by the Lust. This has to be the strangest FO that I have ever used, I wondered when I poured it out of the bottle, because I have never seen anything come out of the bottle pink.

Asian Sandalwood (also FB) is red in the bottle...discolors to a yellowish brown :).

Almost had a mishap with the curing bar...it was next to the dog's bar...luckily for the dog I realize it as I was reaching for it. Poor dog wouldn't have been allowed inside EVER LOL. It's now on the otherside from the dog bar :).

Update: Almost at the one month mark and the bar is allowed to come in and join the family. The horrible stench has stopped eminating and you have to *intend* to sniff it to smell it. The nose is safe again.

Am taking it into work and foisting it on a few unsuspecting noses (along with a much nicer smelling one) and will report back. I now smell an overly strong jasmine, slight touch of what might be sandalwood, but no vanilla. And I have no clue what ylang ylang smells like...

I can't believe I'm saying this, but *maybe* in a tiny dose it might be a tolerable scent. Definitely not in 1 oz pp doses though. And the cure time is at least a month from what I can tell...

Back