Lurker and experienced experimenter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all! I've been an on and off lurker on this forum for some time, and wanted to finally introduce myself.

I've been making soap for myself for over 10 years now, but it's mostly more or less the same recipe, with modifications here and there when i find a new ingredient I'm curious about. I like to make HP because I'm impatient and it doesn't eat the EOs like CP does.

I'm really into making lotions and skin/body products. I make body wash, face cream, toner, hair oil, hair detangler, foot cream, body cream, etc. I love experimenting with new ingredients from makingcosmetics and lotioncrafter, especially skin actives. I also love duping popular products. I've ventured into making makeup as well and successfully made a few eyeshadows and eyeliner.

I've been to a few craft shows but quickly realized that making the same product over and over to appease picky customers isn't really for me. I like playing and experimenting and don't particularly enjoy mass producing stuff.

I'm happy to be able to join this forum. In a world of Instagram and Reddit it's nice to find a community where content and discussion takes priority over likes and upvotes.

Attachments

• PXL_20211207_195753617.jpg
    PXL_20211207_195753617.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210506_002140.jpg
    20210506_002140.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190419_161753_HDR.jpg
    20190419_161753_HDR.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1554417689465.jpg
    FB_IMG_1554417689465.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190327_081356_HDR.jpg
    20190327_081356_HDR.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190213_232840~2.jpg
    20190213_232840~2.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 0
Welcome! I’m pretty new here too. You are absolutely right, there is such a warm and welcome feeling here. Everyone gives amazing constructive criticism without any attitude. This forum is really quite addictive because of the knowledge and beautiful personalities that seem to moderate it all. I’m glad to be a part of it all and add you to the mix. BTW, beautiful soap ya made there.

I've been to a few craft shows but quickly realized that making the same product over and over to appease picky customers isn't really for me. I like playing and experimenting and don't particularly enjoy mass producing stuff.
Welcome to the rabbit hole!

My customers aren't picky, they are discerning. ;)

Yeah, it can be fairly boring making the same thing over and over and over and over again. But on the other side of the coin, boring aka consistency pays the bills and allows you to play with new ingredients.

Speaking solely for myself, I'm really happy with my soap recipes...I make a Regular Soap, Goat Milk Soap and Mechanics Soap. I have zero interest in changing them because they are solid recipes and make a really good bar of soap. In my Regular Soap, I have about 12 soaps that are part of my standard line, then I have another dozen that will change because of the season or because I want to try a new FO (my weakness). The majority of my GMS is wholesale so it's fairly standard with some seasonal tossed in. Mechanic's soap is fairly niche so I don't deviate. I also make Lotion Bars...I make about six regular scents and then a few rotating scents...usually leftover from Regular Soap. I will be adding Bath Salts later this year...these will be standard scents.

Next year I want to offer a 'luxury' line of soaps. Special 'gift' sets of soap made with more expensive oils, butters, additives...special occasion stuff...mostly label appeal since the lye monster destroys most of the 'benefits'. But it's an opportunity to change things up a bit and I'll get paid for it.

Welcome! I’m pretty new here too. You are absolutely right, there is such a warm and welcome feeling here. Everyone gives amazing constructive criticism without any attitude. This forum is really quite addictive because of the knowledge and beautiful personalities that seem to moderate it all. I’m glad to be a part of it all and add you to the mix. BTW, beautiful soap ya made there.

Thank you! See you around :D

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

My customers aren't picky, they are discerning. ;)

Yeah, it can be fairly boring making the same thing over and over and over and over again. But on the other side of the coin, boring aka consistency pays the bills and allows you to play with new ingredients.

Speaking solely for myself, I'm really happy with my soap recipes...I make a Regular Soap, Goat Milk Soap and Mechanics Soap. I have zero interest in changing them because they are solid recipes and make a really good bar of soap. In my Regular Soap, I have about 12 soaps that are part of my standard line, then I have another dozen that will change because of the season or because I want to try a new FO (my weakness). The majority of my GMS is wholesale so it's fairly standard with some seasonal tossed in. Mechanic's soap is fairly niche so I don't deviate. I also make Lotion Bars...I make about six regular scents and then a few rotating scents...usually leftover from Regular Soap. I will be adding Bath Salts later this year...these will be standard scents.

Next year I want to offer a 'luxury' line of soaps. Special 'gift' sets of soap made with more expensive oils, butters, additives...special occasion stuff...mostly label appeal since the lye monster destroys most of the 'benefits'. But it's an opportunity to change things up a bit and I'll get paid for it.
Mechanics soap sounds like something that mechanics can't live without, i could see myself making something that was unique and helpful to a group of people! Is it a soap for degreasing the hands from motor oil?

I think you're doing well to start with tried and true recipes and scale slowly. When i started i got so impassioned with creating all kinds of products that my line blew up to like.. 6 different lotion scents, 4 body butters, several M&P soaps, bath bombs, lip balms, lotion bars... I wanted to make everything!! I also am quite skilled at Photoshop so i decided to make fancy labels for each piece. Go big or go home right? So in the end I got burnt out and went home 😂

Also on my second day of my first craft show ever, some woman decided to try my tea tree oil lotion (i had a tester bottle on the table). Now I'm very sensitive to scents myself so i don't go heavy on scents or EOs. So she proceeds to slather her entire arm in TTO lotion, and only after goes "ewwww i hate this smell" while staring at me to do something. I offered her a tissue and my sympathy and prayed she'd walk away if i stopped paying attention to her.

Mechanics soap sounds like something that mechanics can't live without, i could see myself making something that was unique and helpful to a group of people! Is it a soap for degreasing the hands from motor oil?

I think you're doing well to start with tried and true recipes and scale slowly. When i started i got so impassioned with creating all kinds of products that my line blew up to like.. 6 different lotion scents, 4 body butters, several M&P soaps, bath bombs, lip balms, lotion bars... I wanted to make everything!! I also am quite skilled at Photoshop so i decided to make fancy labels for each piece. Go big or go home right? So in the end I got burnt out and went home 😂

Also on my second day of my first craft show ever, some woman decided to try my tea tree oil lotion (i had a tester bottle on the table). Now I'm very sensitive to scents myself so i don't go heavy on scents or EOs. So she proceeds to slather her entire arm in TTO lotion, and only after goes "ewwww i hate this smell" while staring at me to do something. I offered her a tissue and my sympathy and prayed she'd walk away if i stopped paying attention to her.
Mechanics soap is just my Regular Soap with pumice powder. I make it in three colors...dark green, navy blue and burgundy and use a clean mint scent. Since most folks wipe most of the stuff of their hands, you don't need a 'stripping' soap, but you do need a little extra cleaning power and the powder gets into crevices better than regular pumice and rinses clean.

Oh...I played around with my recipe, bought a bunch of different oils and butters and had fun making all sorts of different soaps, but then I started thinking about all those different labels and nope...not going there. I wanted to keep it simple...one label for my Regular Soap, one label for my GMS and one label for my Mechanics...I can order them in bulk. And I'm doing the same with my front labels except that I leave the name of the soap blank and print it later.

I've thought of a lot of different products, but a lot of them take a lot of different ingredients and I kind of want to same within the 'family' so to speak. Making Lotion Bars only required one extra ingredient...Bees Wax. And I'm considering Lip Butter/Balm for the same reason...same ingredients except for flavoring. Sugar and/or Salt Scrubs would be another extension. I've consider Lotions and Creams and Shampoo and all sorts, but that would require going way outside of the 'family' and that's just a road I don't want to travel.

I don't argue with people. If you have a problem my using Palm Oil, then my soap is not for you. If you have a problem with my using animal products (GMS, Lard), then my soap is not for you. If you have a problem with Mica and FOs, then my soap is not for you. My soap will get you clean.

Back