Lumpy soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KudzuGoddess

Reaction score
A couple of batches of cold process soap this weekend have developed a grainy or lumpy texture after stick blending. I always have trouble getting my temps right in the spring and fall but I got a sneaking suspicion that maybe the temps are a red herring and it's my stick blender dying. Any thoughts?

Ricing? Was it after the FO was added?

Hmmm, yes but it was essential oils not fragrance oil and it was two batches and two different blends of eo.

Hmmm, yes but it was essential oils not fragrance oil and it was two batches and two different blends of eo.

Now I can't stop thinking about ricing, you may have hit on something there, Kiwi Moose!!

Where did you get your essential oils? Depending on the quality/purity of the EOs, they could definitely be the culprit.

New Directions Aromatics is the supplier. Seemed ok, never had bad luck with them, except their basil is way too licorice smelling.

What essential oils did you use in your soap? Some essential oils can cause acceleration and ricing.

Batch One: Patchouli, Frankincense, Vetiver
Batch Two: Lemon 5 Fold, Lemongrass, Vetiver, Juniper Berry (I call it "Exurge Diem", get it? Squeeze the Day! Cracks me up so much!)

Hmmm, ding, ding, ding, we may have a winner. I hadn't realized that the vetiver was in both of them. Duh. This is also a vetiver that I hadn't used before. Dangit the other one that I was using was soooo expensive.

You are all such great sleuths! THANK YOU!

Back