LS foaming additives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
I made a bunch of batches of IL's liquid soap...finally brought a batch to conclusion last night by adding the meadow foam seed oil...WOW!...very different from my other recipes. I can definitely see how this formula would be great in the winter...
Herein lies my question. I'm using foaming bottles and I'd like the foam to be, well, foamy! I "think" I diluted it correctly at about 20% additional water initially and then I just started adding more water to a small trial batch to see what the potential might be.I made some other recipe and I can pump out a decent amount of foam and invert my hand and there it stays... I know theres HEC and similar additives to "thicken" liquid soap...I just don't know if they make for a more foaming soap....just looking for your collective thoughts!

My experience on the famous GLS here on SMF is that with the recipe 65% OO, 25% CO, 10% Castor, when I dilute its paste at 2 parts water : 1 part paste, then the foam is great. I guess it might be somehow similar to your recipe. The final soap must be watery in order for the foaming pump to work as expected so you might try on the watery end of your recipe (>1.5 water : 1 paste) and see which dilution rate works best for your liking.

I have found that there is no "perfect" dilution rate to get a soap to act correctly in the foamer bottles. I dilute the paste JUST barely enough to get it fully diluted, then I dilute that until I stop getting soap "boogers" in the foamers. Some recipes/batches require one part soap to one part water, some (like IrishLass' GLS) require 1:1.5 and more. Don't forget that "and more"! I am currently adding 1 oz water to 5 oz diluted liquid soap. I have started testing all liquid soap in my foamers before giving it out so I can get it to the proper dilution for everyone. Even then I send instructions on what to do if there are soap "boogers".

Latest posts

Back