It would be interesting to hear your findings as well, whether you choose same recipe or different.@cmzaha was the one that convinced me to use a lower superfat. We have old pipes and hard water so I felt I had nothing to lose. I mostly do HP with a few examples of CP thrown in now and again. So far, knock wood, the only case of DOS I have had was one bar given to my daughter that fell off the shelf where she keeps her soaps in her bathroom. Time wise, it had to be from my high superfat days but it also could have been from where she stored it, where it laid or any number of factors. But even from the first time I used a 2% superfat, the soap scum has been reduced and I don't have to clean out the drains in my bathroom as often.
@Zany_in_CO may have just convinced me to try 0% superfat in my next soap. I was going to soap yesterday but discovered that I didn't have that extra bottle of lye in my cupboard afterall. Now I have a few days to decide which recipe I really want to do. Something new, so I can use one of my recipes that I want to try out, or something old, so that I can compare the recipes of 0% and 2% superfat. Soaping is such fun!
Yes, if you see @earlene post above, she linked the Andalusian thread and I spent quite a bit of time going through it, it is a very interesting soap project.Yes! Thank you for the memory jog! That's right, I remember the water content being part of it as well. At the time I was soaping at 3:1 water:lye ratio which is why I felt comfortable with extreme negative SF. I no longer soap with that much water, but I also don't do as many experiments as I used to lol.
I made my first attempt at the face with a 0% superfat and I definitely have a lot of soda ash, that I did not get with Frida's face. At first I thought it was because I didn't leave the heating pad overnight, and only left it on for about 1 hour. However, the leftover soap dough that was in contact with plastic to prevent air from touching it, also has soda ash, which is weird for me to see in soap dough. It could be that I was using the last bits of lye master batch, and although I shake the jug every time there was more lye concentration at the bottom regardless. I will try to remove it though, steaming does not usually work for me but I might try gently rubbing it off.