Lower Budget Bath Bomb Press

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to start making bath bombs, but I already anticipate not wanting to just press with my hands. (Hand issues). The manual presses I’m finding are between $150-200. They look almost exactly like this juicer. The cone and funnel on the bottom come out. Maybe a couple of tiles placed above and below the mold would ensure an even pressure. How McGuyver is this on a scale of 1-10? 😆 And, do you think it would work? If not, please explain why.
TIA!

Attachments

• 44570F00-11CA-4869-ABA5-9D100DE073D9.jpeg
    44570F00-11CA-4869-ABA5-9D100DE073D9.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 62
If you mean ceramic tiles, they might be too brittle. I would use pieces of wood, but those might be too thick. Will the mold fit directly into the space left by the cone and funnel? If not, if the cone/funnel are separate can you take out the cone and leave the funnel and put your mold inside that?

I give you a McGuyver score of at least 8, it'll be a solid 10 if duct tape comes into it somehow!

I want to start making bath bombs, but I already anticipate not wanting to just press with my hands. (Hand issues). The manual presses I’m finding are between $150-200. They look almost exactly like this juicer. The cone and funnel on the bottom come out. Maybe a couple of tiles placed above and below the mold would ensure an even pressure. How McGuyver is this on a scale of 1-10? 😆 And, do you think it would work? If not, please explain why.
TIA!
You got me curious so I went searching - are these sorts of things any good?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WSBCVLK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_GBT91DDWM3D15FVRQWZC

If you're talking about the 3D printed 3 piece molds, it is possible with the bench press. You don't need as much force as you think you do. After playing with my husband's bench press, I discovered that a nice tap (or two) with a rubber mallet on the top of the 3 piece mold works just as efficiently. Although I should note, this was with shampoo bars not bath bombs so your mileage may vary.

I love how the first one totally fails. The curse of the camera!

I'm so grateful for people who show their failures because they immediately begin troubleshooting all the ways it could have gone wrong. That has so much more value than if everything went smoothly because you wouldn't know what to watch out for. She had such a calming energy too, great video @AliOop, thank you for sharing this!

I'm so grateful for people who show their failures because they immediately begin troubleshooting all the ways it could have gone wrong. That has so much more value than if everything went smoothly because you wouldn't know what to watch out for. She had such a calming energy too, great video @AliOop, thank you for sharing this!
Yes, and I like the way the press was used. It showed that it really could be done with any mold.

TIA!
This is such a great idea!!!!

You're definitely on the right track.

You might be able to do it with a regular bench press. I use a smaller watch press for pressing makeup and it works great.
This one is around $60.
View attachment 55622
So I'm going shopping this weekend for sure. I hate hand pressing. For some reason I clench my teeth at the same time.... I'm sure I'm going to snap something eventually.

I’m fairly tool savvy, and I have no idea what the bench press is for. It’s a gym exercise in my world. What is it usually used for pressing?

That's like asking what you'd use a hammer for ;)
A bench press is actually a great crafting tool. Stuff off the top of my head:
  • Condition polymer clay
  • Press makeup
  • Metal stamping
  • Compress bath bombs
  • Pressing flowers and leaves during natural fabric dyeing

I’m fairly tool savvy, and I have no idea what the bench press is for. It’s a gym exercise in my world. What is it usually used for pressing?
@TashaBird I know you are tool savvy, I was just noting that any spouses who are resistant to purchases for soap-specific items might be swayed by the fact that this can also be used for other things. 😉 Besides the uses noted by @Skylantern, I saw a lot of reviews from jewelry makers (which is probably the same as metal stamping but not the first thought that comes to my mind).

BTW, I also think of a gym machine or exercise when one says "bench press." 😄 My husband explained that in his world, a "bench press" or "arbor press" sits on a (work)bench, as opposed to a large, free-standing press machine. Like the difference between a free-standing saw machine, and a table saw.

Back