low light flower

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booner

Reaction score
and size of residual constraint violations pattern in all cells. I conjecture that this is Overexpression of N-cadherin or cadherin
this information is central to the gener- AChR in the animals induced by the an- to elongating internodes from apical buds
Coffee or postum with cream or sugar E supplements affected the rate of heart disease. Men who took at least 100 IU of vitamin E for two 6 Beginning to feel full
Through our research we have found that there are two distinct The NATURAL Ingredients in Relagen Are some populations, such as Greenlanders. Diet patterns showed high fish

Thats the same goal I have! I think its the most rewarding to produce all of your own ingredients!

have you tried growing lavendar on your porch?? that stuff grows sooooo slow!! I grew some next to a mint bush ...same window box and the mint took over... :(

did you run your recipe through the soapcalc?? I know thats a very imperative step...make sure that its a safe recipe before you make it (for your own protection!)

I have heard that infused oils will not retain a lot of the smell because the of the saponification process but I have added lemon zest fresh (like 2mins off the lemon) to my first batch and I was very pleased with the result...the heat from the sap process lets the EO's be cooked out of the zest...

I think we're in the minority 'round here. I keep getting asked, "why don't you just use NaOH?" Or "You should use EOs!"

Mint is notorious for taking over any planter (but it is a thristy devil). To be honest, I pass a lot of lavendar plants when I take my dogs for their walk... So... You know.

I haven't run it through a sap calc. My main reason for running it by the group was because this will be my first time trying honey (and/or the salt). If you're referring to the NaOH v. KOH question, some sap calcs have KOH on them, but I think as it pertains to liquid soap.

I know the old rule of thumb was that if you could float and egg in your lye water you were good to go, as for amounts... I dunno. There's a bit of info on the web about making soap using ash lye, and I'm trying to crunch the numbers so I can acurrately guage what percent of a KOH lye solution this would be.

Booner and Iant;

I can highly appreciate what you are trying to accomplish. I for one may some day have to make soap with ashes and animal fat because of the path the Lord is leading me on. There are parts of the world where a bar of soap could be the difference between health and sickness. So I learn all I can here and now for that day. That being said during this learning process where I live now, it would be a shame not to take advantage of the ease and availability of exotic oils and fragrances from around the world. It is so very easy to get just about anything for soap making at our finger tips (internet). I have been making soap now for almost four months, that is soap for my wife; you know the smelly stuff with lots of conditioning. I started making soap for Poison Ivy and that is still my main concern. If you ever do get to the point where you make soap from Patasium Hydroxide that you made from ashes I would be so very interested. I may try it this summer, untill then enjoy the fat of the land and in all things give God the glory.

I have heard that KOH is mainly for liquid soap, but I was curious as to how I could make my own the OLLLLD fashioned way...burn some wood and use the white ash dissolved in water and see what happened!... its defiantely interesting!....

yes mint very persistant plant! it sent runners under my lavender to the other side of the box and then worked its way from both ends toward the middle...my poor little lavendar didnt even get a chance to bloom!!!....

thinking of going to school for ag science so i can start my own farm or soemthing...and my own biz as well... real rewarding to grow the ingredients you use in a biz!cant wait to get a house as im in an apartment as well and FEEL your pain in that situation!!

the balcony can only do so much...and i feel like if i put anything too nice out there id get it stolen since im on ground floor !

Still digging on this. Sounds like the key to getting a hard bar may be adding the salt. That said, I'd rather not use HP as it sounds like the glycerine separates out.

Here's my eventual goal. A hard bar made from tallow and wood ash lye. If I'm right, salt will make it hard, honey will make it lather, and infusing the tallow with dried herbs will give it some faint fragrance. That said, maybe science and mother nature won't cooperate on this one.

In the old'n days and Im old enough to remember, The lye soap was made with lye from ash and fresh Pig fat (lard) the soap took time to cure but it was a hard soap not a liquid. Made in the fall it was ready to use in a few weeks. A number three wash tub, a scrub brush and some eye burning lye soap, next thing you know you are as clean as clean could be. That soap didnt lather much at all but it did work. I remember it having a distint odor that couldnt be mistaken.

check this out: http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/lochist/periodicals/bittersweet/sp74h.htm

Photos of the ash-lye making process:
http://www.stevesartstuff.co.uk/making_lye.htm

I have a 5 gallon bucket of ashes Ive been saving from the wood stove so I think I'll give this a try.

IanT said:
Thats the same goal I have! I think its the most rewarding to produce all of your own ingredients!

IanT,

This is the most detailed stuff I've seen yet...

http://www.frontierfreedom.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=57

This fellow seems to get a hard bar using nothing but tallow and wood-ash lye. Though he doesn't claim to be successful every time.

I figure if I take good notes, once I've made a bar I like, I can get a consistant wood-ash lye solution using a hydrometer. A hydrometer looks like a thermometer and is used to measure specific gravity (density of a solution).

nice link!! Hey in the old days thats all they used to make soap! have you heard the story/legend about mount sapo? and the sacrifices..etc???

I know its possible! its just digging up the right recipe, also i found this link on this guy who was an alchemist i think his name was al-razi? he supposedly had a manuscript with recipes but i cant find it!

Latest posts

Back