Low cleansing brine soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garden Gives Me Joy

Reaction score
Given the fact that brine inhibits lather (from cleansing oils), what are your opinions on LOW CLEANSING, BRINE bars?

I figure that it might be better to use coconut oil (versus PKO) because of its ability to lather despite salt. However, is it worth a try if the coconut oil is included only enough to render a cleansing score of roughly 14 ... or even lower?

1652425773493.png

Well, I like Zany's no slime Castile, though I make it with real sea water. That's technically a brine bar.

Sure, the lather is not huge, but there is enough of it for me, especially if you use a washcloth/shower poof etc. I don't really understand why folks want so many bubbles? A low lather cleans just as well for everyday use.

I accidentally made a low cleansing salt soap once. I was making a coconut free recipe I have and for some reason thought I should make it a salty batch. It was a nice soap, but it didn't lather much, obviously.

The thing to remember about the cleansing is that soap still cleans even if that number is low. When I am making a new recipe, I deliberately aim to have my cleansing number as low as I can so that it isn't as stripping.

is it worth a try if the coconut oil is included only enough to render a cleansing score of roughly 14 ... or even lower?
Your recipe looks fine to me.

If you want to use fewer oils, and a tried & true salt solution that results in a long-lasting semi-hard bar that keeps its shape to the very end so you can simply squish it onto a new bar, using water as a binder, then you may want to do a small trial batch of ZNSC. 😁

Zany's No Slime Castile
ZNSC on You Tube

I like Zany's no slime Castile, though I make it with real sea water. That's technically a brine bar. Sure, the lather is not huge, but there is enough of it for me, especially if you use a washcloth/shower poof etc

I make @Zany_in_CO's ZNSC with real sea water too. I make the 10% CO and 5% castor version.
That's the version I prefer too. Although @Babyshoes advice is solid for boosting lather, I don't use a bath pouf. I want to treat my hands as well so I lather up with them! 😁

I love the dense creamy lather I get while washing my face. It rinses clean but leaves my face feeling less tight than with other face soaps. It's a good thing. ;) :thumbs:

Back