Lovely

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantLee63

Reaction score
Observation: I think the word lovely is used as a descriptor on this forum more than anywhere else ... Agree?

DISCLAIMER!: I'm not being critical or mean-spirited in any way, shape, or form ... just observant, plus I believe the word lovely is, well, lovely!

It's also a lovely word for describing a lovely bar of soap or a lovely lotion or even a lovely lip balm. If something we make can't be described as lovely, what good is it? Extraordinary? Marvelous? Great? Nay, Lovely just rolls off the tongue better when describing bath and body products.

I know I'm guilty!

You know how a word just weasels its way into your speech... "lovely" is probably my most used descriptor.

Something something something something tra la la precocious!

A lot of the more visual adjectives are harder to apply to soap ("oh what a handsome bar of soap") so it does fit the bill very well.

Although now I will be using handsome to describe soaps. Unless they are not handsome, in which case I will say "frightful"

A lot of the more visual adjectives are harder to apply to soap ("oh what a handsome bar of soap") so it does fit the bill very well.

Although now I will be using handsome to describe soaps. Unless they are not handsome, in which case I will say "frightful"

I kinda pegged your soaps to be efficacious, seeing that they're made by The Efficacious Gentleman and all.

LOL. It looks like you've been taking singing lessons from my hubby. :lol:

I find the word 'lovely' to be... well.... quite supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, and I unapologetically confess to using it a lot. :mrgreen:

IrishLass :)

Nice = not outstanding
beautiful = looks good
lovely = looks beautiful but also looks as if it has the characteristics that would be nice in the shower.
gorgeous = close to outstanding

Nice = not outstanding
beautiful = looks good
lovely = looks beautiful but also looks as if it has the characteristics that would be nice in the shower.

Nice= great soap
Beautiful= Wow, great job!
Lovely= That beautiful soap must be nice. :)
Gorgeous= Truly this is the soap of legends! :shock::thumbup::clap:

I'm fine with "lovely." It's the overuse of "creamy" that makes me grit my teeth. :mrgreen:

Nice = not outstanding

beautiful = looks good

I think punctuation also plays into it. I (over)use the word "nice" a lot, but when I really like a soap I'll say "nice!then also add more complementary dialogue.

I like EG's idea to start referring to soaps as handsome. We could get very creative with our adjectives..."That's a debonair bar of soap", "Ooh, captivating!" "Dreamy!" "How lyrical!"
Just watch out for those cantankerous and incorrigible bars.

Oh man, I've caught myself recently using "nourishing"... but it did look nourishing. And Creamy. Dern it.

Slatherific. Nope, that's just odd sounding.
Skin-Loving. Nah, that's worse than nourishing.

I've got it: Skintastic. That will be my descriptive from now on for those nourishing, creamy, slatherific, skin-loving soaps.

Back