Lovely Lilac

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For a friend, who loves lilacs, even out of season.

I had to carefully pick my photos so that they don't all show the obvious, which you will see in the last pic. I screwed up the TD in the base batter. Streaks everywhere because I didn't mix it properly (and why didn't I just use a natural base??). I mini-frothed the TD/oil dixie cup, but after adding back to the main batter, I only hand blended. This light touch wasn't necessary since I hadn't yet added the FO (which I knew would act quick). Then I hum-de-dumb'ly added the Lilac, and kept hand stirring to integrate, too late to do otherwise. Just a little misstep, and that's that, streaks in a soap that otherwise I love, even out of season.

P1040299.JPG

P1040298.JPG

IMG_0672.jpg

OH those are adorable!
Wont a quickie bath and scrub for the soaps get rid of the TD streaks? It did when I didn't mix in my green oxide - twice! :D

Seawolfe, what did you scrub with after rinsing? I just tried with paper towel and that left more streaks. Should have used something softer I bet. So then I gave another hot rinse, without wiping afterward, and that improved things better than their original state.

I originally tried lifting out the biggest ones with a toothpick, and that took care of some but not all of them. The good thing is, the camera pronounces the streaks more than the eye does. Does anyone know how you could adjust the settings to negate that effect?

Lovely! I love the cluster of purples to look like the flowers.

I learned the hard way too that hand stirring TD, no matter if you use oil or water dispersible, doesn't work that well. You can tell the difference as soon as you hit the batter with a SB how much of a difference that makes. It seems like no matter what you use to wipe the soap, it will streak the TD. The rinse seems to work the best.

Seawolfe, what did you scrub with after rinsing? I just tried with paper towel and that left more streaks. Should have used something softer I bet. So then I gave another hot rinse, without wiping afterward, and that improved things better than their original state.

I originally tried lifting out the biggest ones with a toothpick, and that took care of some but not all of them. The good thing is, the camera pronounces the streaks more than the eye does. Does anyone know how you could adjust the settings to negate that effect?

I just get something woven and soft (Soap Queen recommends an old pair of nylons) and run a bit first one way and then the other till they aren't so visible.

I love them! The colors are beautiful, you are probably the only one that will focus on the TD. I have had good luck using nylons, and works on soda ash too.

CaraBou, that is a lovely color of purple. Nice looking soap! Lilac is one of my favorite scents as well; your friend is very lucky!

I just get something woven and soft (Soap Queen recommends an old pair of nylons) and run a bit first one way and then the other till they aren't so visible.

Thanks Seawolfe for that little tip - I've never heard that before. Will keep in mind!

Last edited:
I'm sitting here looking at the lovely colors and thinking... " this is how the suck all the natural colorants folks over to the dark side...." :)

Oh, both ways! I'll give that a try!

I'm sitting here looking at the lovely colors and thinking... " this is how the suck all the natural colorants folks over to the dark side...." :)

Ha ha, you've pegged us gigi! In fact after cutting that soap, I made another batch, with beta carotene, red clay and AC. Not sure if I felt guilty or what (but I really do love those purples)!

Latest posts

Back