Lots of questions from a new member

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi everyone!

I run a small charity and want to hit all the holiday bazaar's this year with home made soap - melt and pour kind

I have not made any soap yet and have so many questions! If they have been answered before please forgive - can you direct me to where I might find answers to the following:

1.) Where is the cheapest place to buy melt and pour soap wholesale? I see so many smaller soap companies selling soap supplies and I wonder where do they get their supplies from? Are there a few big soap supply companies that the smaller stores buy from?

2.) I need a plain brown cardboard package for my soap with a large window cut out on the top. I have looked forever. Any ideas?

3.) Can I make my own packing boxes? I saw a big cardboard cutting machine once.

4.) I am looking for wooden soap molds that collapse. Are these the easiest ones to get the soap out of? I want to make the bar soap.

5.) Do I always have to use a liner inside the soap mold?

6.) Also looking for a soap cutter. Any ideas?

7.) Looking for wooden soap mold plans - my husband wants to make the molds for me, bless his heart.

8.) When I am making layered soap out of the melt and pour how do I keep the layers from coming apart? Do they just seal together?

9.) How do I make soap rolls?

10.) I see some layered soaps have clear layers and they solid layers. Are both layers melt and pour soap?

Been looking for soap making classes in my area but they don't start till mid November and I want to start this month. I have a couple of soap books and read everything I can on soap but can't find some answers to all of these questions.

Thanks so much for all your help and patience. You sound like a great bunch of folks helping each other out. Once I get going should be easier.

Kind Regards,

Linnea

Linnea said:
Hi everyone!

I run a small charity and want to hit all the holiday bazaar's this year with home made soap - melt and pour kind

I have not made any soap yet and have so many questions! If they have been answered before please forgive - can you direct me to where I might find answers to the following:

1.) Where is the cheapest place to buy melt and pour soap wholesale? I see so many smaller soap companies selling soap supplies and I wonder where do they get their supplies from? Are there a few big soap supply companies that the smaller stores buy from?

2.) I need a plain brown cardboard package for my soap with a large window cut out on the top. I have looked forever. Any ideas?

3.) Can I make my own packing boxes? I saw a big cardboard cutting machine once.

4.) I am looking for wooden soap molds that collapse. Are these the easiest ones to get the soap out of? I want to make the bar soap.

5.) Do I always have to use a liner inside the soap mold?

6.) Also looking for a soap cutter. Any ideas?

7.) Looking for wooden soap mold plans - my husband wants to make the molds for me, bless his heart.

8.) When I am making layered soap out of the melt and pour how do I keep the layers from coming apart? Do they just seal together?

9.) How do I make soap rolls?

10.) I see some layered soaps have clear layers and they solid layers. Are both layers melt and pour soap?

Been looking for soap making classes in my area but they don't start till mid November and I want to start this month. I have a couple of soap books and read everything I can on soap but can't find some answers to all of these questions.

Thanks so much for all your help and patience. You sound like a great bunch of folks helping each other out. Once I get going should be easier.

Kind Regards,

Linnea

Well first, Welcome.
Second, I must ask.. Have you done any research yet? This isnt a hobby to just jump into and sell. Its quiet technical.
Im not a M&P maker, I make CP.
But its up to the MP soapers to answer your questions. It takes sometimes years for research, trial and error. We will do our best to answer some of your questions, but on your part.. you have to put in "time"..

Nice to meet you.

Welcome.
The cheapest place to buy melt and pour soap wholesale is SFIC. They are in L.A. (CA) and you need to buy a large amount.

Irena

Welcome to SMF. Pull up a chair and stay awhile. There is plenty to read.

I agree with Smell. For a lot of us, we have put quite a bit of time, effort and money into this and take it very serious. It would be of your best interest to do some research to learn more about this craft and what it takes. There is a lot of information available on the web through sites like this one and there are some good books out there as well. Good luck.

Hey there, I make M&P only so maybe I can help with some of your questions:

I get my melt and pour base from wholesalesuppliesplus.com

The molds I use are a flexible plastic, don't have any problems getting the soap out of them.

Are you planning on making soap loaves? that would be the only reason I could see for a cutter. If you are talking about cutting the blocks of soap, I use a regular bread knife. It is not all that difficult to cut the blocks.

I personally haven't tried to layer soap, but there are tons of books out there.

I am going to answer these questions but you absolutely MUST read a book or 2 for the saftey of your customers & so you do not waste a ton of money with ruined bathches and expensive supplies that you will have no use for.

Also: ALL of the questions you asked can be found in past threads here on the forum. Please make yourself familiar with the search feature here.

1.) Where is the cheapest place to buy melt and pour soap wholesale? I see so many smaller soap companies selling soap supplies and I wonder where do they get their supplies from? Are there a few big soap supply companies that the smaller stores buy from? I agree wsp is a good source, so is columbus foods. There are larger companies such as SFIC that sell to smaller companies, minimum qty is 250 pounds I think. Other large companies have pallet minimums.

2.) I need a plain brown cardboard package for my soap with a large window cut out on the top. I have looked forever. Any ideas? Cardboard is a bad idea for M&P. Melt & pour needs to be wrapped air tight or it will shrink, shrivel & crack. M&P will also stick to cardboard or paper.

4.) I am looking for wooden soap molds that collapse. Are these the easiest ones to get the soap out of? I want to make the bar soap. Wooden soap molds are *mostley* for CP soap. Soapmaker man on this site is the mold guru

5.) Do I always have to use a liner inside the soap mold? You do not use a liner at all for M&P

6.) Also looking for a soap cutter. Any ideas? Soapmaker man is a cutter guru & sells cuters plus molds BUT AGAIN- cutters are *generally* for CP soap. M&P is sliced with a knife.

7.) Looking for wooden soap mold plans - my husband wants to make the molds for me, bless his heart. Soapmaker man selles these.

8.) When I am making layered soap out of the melt and pour how do I keep the layers from coming apart? Do they just seal together? You must mist rubbing alcohol on the solid layer before you pour the second layer

9.) How do I make soap rolls? Make a few bars fisrt & ask again, it would make no sense to you now.

10.) I see some layered soaps have clear layers and they solid layers. Are both layers melt and pour soap? Some coloring is translucent, some is opaque.

Please google how to melt & pour soap before going any further. It will provide you with a wealth of information. We have all done it.

Many thanks to everyone

Hello again,

Thanks so much for all the super input and patience. You have no idea how long I have been wanting to ask those questions and could not find anyone to help. I have read a couple of book but there is nothing like the input from others.

I printed off the wooden mold box plans and the hubby is already looking at them. I spent hours online trying to find one. Thanks!

I am needing a card board box with a little larger opening but thanks for the help. The one you sent may work.

Thanks for the supply places and I will check them all out.

I look forward to meeting Soapman, what a resource.

Thanks for the tip about the layers and misting alcohol on it first. Do I need to let it harden first? And this method will work for the melt and pour?

Any book(s) that everyone just loves or is very helpful?

You all are super and thanks again for your help.

I do know a little about marketing online. I have found the sercet is to add something everyday new on your site as this will rise you on the search engines. It has to be orginal material, writing that is. What the exchange links and only do 2-4 a day. Well at least it works for me on my vintage clothing site.

Wishing you a happy fall, gosh summer went by so fast.

Kind regards, Linnea

Thanks for the tip about the layers and misting alcohol on it first. Do I need to let it harden first? And this method will work for the melt and pour?
Yes, the first layer must be firm or the heat from the new layer will pop the 1st & it will mix together.

Thanks again

Hi, thanks for that important tip.

I found someone locally off Craig's List who said she will help me through the first batch or 2 so this will make it a lot easier.

You sound like you have a great deal of experience and I appreciate your input.

Kind Regards,

Linnea

Latest posts

Back