Lotioncrafter additives for conditioner

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainycityjen

Reaction score
Looking to formulate my first hair conditioner, and hoping some more experienced lotion/hair crafters have guidance. I'm looking at Lotioncrafter as a supplier primarily because of their location

1. This supplier offers a number of hydrolized proteins, and I'd like to try one. What is the anecdotal or molecular difference between soy, silk, quinoa, wheat, and oat proteins?

2. Would you recommend humectants like honeyquat or glycerin as additives for fine hair?

3. Does anyone have experience with VegeKeratin or other keratin as an additive?

4. Have you noticed noticable difference between using distilled water, aloe juice, or floral hydrosols as water?

5. Do you find silicones weight down the hair?

BTW here is my notional recipe for fine, straight, tending-to-oily hair:
7% BTMS
1% liquid germall plus
2% dimethicone
2% hydrolized protein
1% fragrance
2% panthenol
1% light conditioning oil
85% distilled water/hydrosol

Don't overdose on the preservative -- enough is good, too much is not better. I'm pretty sure the recommended range is 0.2% to 0.5% by weight for LGP; I use 0.5%.

Have you checked out Susan's blog at http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.ca/ She does a good job of suggesting recommended % for various additives and explaining why. I know she really likes panthenol and dimethicone, so there should be some good stuff on her blog.

Oops, I think I did mean 0.5% preservative but rounded up a decimal before copy and paste.

I love Susan's blog, I got a lot of info from the haircare threads. I ended up searching outside her blog further info on dimethicone and silicones. It seems they may coat and smooth the cuticle but also prevent some moisture absorption and add weight - very interesting.

Back to furious Googling!

Jen ... ah, I get it! Thanks for explaining!

Carolyn ... I appreciate the correction about the lower end for LGP. Good to know.

Just finished a 32 oz batch of the conditioner and tried it out. Loove love love for my fine, tangly hair. Final recipe:

20% aloe juice
6% BTMS
3% CETAC 30
4% meafowfoam seed oil
2% dl Panthenol
2% leucidal liquid
2% AMTicide coconut
2% hydrolyzed rice protein
1% essential oil
Remaining % distilled water

Back