Lotion sticks, salves and balm`s in paperboard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulShine

Reaction score
Does anyone package their products this way? I`ve been using tins and glass. With summer temps getting hotter and hotter for longer I`m trying to get away from that. I didn`t do any festivals or market`s this summer at all, but last I was always stressing about keeping everything in the shade. I do ship, though nothing but soap in the hot months. Do any of you have any feedback about how you manage this problem? I`m thinking I`ll go all paperboard.

I'm not sure why paper packaging will prevent your product from melting in hot weather. Can you explain?

going back many years, grocery baggers would put frozen foods and especially Ice Cream in paper bags. the bags weren't lined or insulated in those days. so my thinking is that lined paperboard must have some insulating qualities that could keep room temp, oils , butters from melting. paper doesn't seem to heat up in the sun but my glass and metal containers sure do...I`m not a scientist but it may be called thermal conductivity`...lol I was also wondering if maybe using a tiny bit more of beeswax in my recipes could help.

I agree you're talking about thermal conductivity and yes paper is a better insulator than metal or thin plastic, but paper packaging can only do so much. Wrapping ice cream in a paper bag or two will only be effective for a short while -- long enough to drive home and get the ice cream in the fridge.

The insulation value of paper-based packaging is not enough to protect against hours of warmth at a summertime show or in hot warehouses and delivery vehicles. The best solution for situations like these is to store or ship your product in insulated containers with cold packs.

ice cream was just an example of course. I was hoping to also hear from what some others solutions might be, just because I know most are not shipping individual product orders using insulated containers with cold packs...that would probably be (although I`ve not checked) cost prohibitive for such a small order. my solution thus far has been...just don`t offer those products during summer months.

"...shipping individual product orders using insulated containers with cold packs ... cost prohibitive for such a small order ..."

Yes, I agree it's cost prohibitive.

I just received my first delivery of a medication that has to be refrigerated. For a tiny little container, if came in a huge box in which a slightly less huge styrofoam cooler was enclosed and inside that were 4 ice packs, some bubble wrap and the little container about the size of a small box of chocolates. I have no idea how much all that cost (the shipping materials + FedEX delivery), but I'd say it probably cost more than I paid for my prescription ($10.00).

Yeah, even if it was a more appropriate sized package, it would still probably cost more than the product being shipped.

On the plus side, I figured I now have a big styrofoam cooler I can use for soapmaking purposes (insulation - in place of turning on the stove to CPOP). But what about next month and the month after that???

Are we talking about this type?
IMG_20201101_135643.jpg

I ordered a few to try my lotion bars in them, for an international order. Not liking them much so far. As you can see, they can get really messy if you get the product on your fingers lol. Also quite bulky.

It's pretty hot n humid in general where I am but these seem to be holding up to the heat so far. I've set this on the kitchen window where it gets heat from the sun and the stove. A few others are with testers, some who are mobile. I need to check with them how they're holding up.

Buuuut, my recipe is high on beeswax and cocoa to begin with, because I needed them to keep fairly solid as individual bars. I do think that the bulkiness helps insulate them a bit though. This one doesn't get all melty at all even when it's hot by the kitchen window. Slightly more difficult to apply compared to holding a bar in your warm hands. I can't say for the summer months though....

Are we talking about this type?
View attachment 51119
I ordered a few to try my lotion bars in them, for an international order. Not liking them much so far. As you can see, they can get really messy if you get the product on your fingers lol. Also quite bulky.

It's pretty hot n humid in general where I am but these seem to be holding up to the heat so far. I've set this on the kitchen window where it gets heat from the sun and the stove. A few others are with testers, some who are mobile. I need to check with them how they're holding up.

Buuuut, my recipe is high on beeswax and cocoa to begin with, because I needed them to keep fairly solid as individual bars. I do think that the bulkiness helps insulate them a bit though. This one doesn't get all melty at all even when it's hot by the kitchen window. Slightly more difficult to apply compared to holding a bar in your warm hands. I can't say for the summer months though....
Do you know if those were paperboard with a wax lining?

Do you know if those were paperboard with a wax lining?
They are. Soy based lining but the supplier refused to go into more detail pfft... Haha

I guess if you have printed oil and waterproof labels it should counteract my above problem.

I use the cardboard tubes for lip balm and deodorant. I’d suggest the white or black ones. They don’t stain nearly as bad, and can be wiped off more easily. The brown ones get one tiny smear and it turns very dark.

Latest posts

Back