Lotion = Salad Dressing?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
A friend of mine was complaining last weekend about not being able to find any "all natural" lotions, that she couldn't find anything without preservatives. I gave her one of my lotion bars while explaining the standard spiel about how lotions lotions require preservatives because they're an emulsion of water and oil and the water allows nasties to grow. She says, "Water and oil? So lotions are salad dressing? We're all slathering salad dressing on ourselves?" Half-joking, half-horrified.

I could only laugh and say, "Well, I don't think there's vinegar in most lotions." (Unless Teresa or topofmurryhill have come up with something game-changing here too..)

:mrgreen:

Yep, I was thinking, no vinegar or lemon juice in lotions, (at least not to my knowledge).:)

A friend of mine was complaining last weekend about not being able to find any "all natural" lotions, that she couldn't find anything without preservatives. I gave her one of my lotion bars while explaining the standard spiel about how lotions lotions require preservatives because they're an emulsion of water and oil and the water allows nasties to grow. She says, "Water and oil? So lotions are salad dressing? We're all slathering salad dressing on ourselves?" Half-joking, half-horrified.

I could only laugh and say, "Well, I don't think there's vinegar in most lotions." (Unless Teresa or topofmurryhill have come up with something game-changing here too..)

:mrgreen:

BAHAHAHA!!!!

I haven't delved into the lotions yet; they're on my list, though. I'm still working on the deodorant and powder. However, I'll think about it for awhile and let you know what I come up with...

I wonder if ACV will maintain its benefits in lotion. Actually, there is powdered ACV, so if you added that to the water phase of the lotion making process it might up the acidity and do some magic there, right? The germs don't survive in soap because of the high pH, so if you acidify (is that even a word) lotion a bit, would that act as a preservative of some sort (without taking layers off the skin)? Heck if I know. I'm not a scientist. I'm just a "what if" kinda gal.

Back