Lotion recipe for squeeze bottle?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not quite following what you're looking for. More detail, please? I put lotion in bottles with flip caps and bottles with pump dispensers, and I don't necessarily make any changes to the formulation either way. I guess if the lotion was more like a thick cream -- not pourable -- that might not be the best for a squeeze bottle, but other than that ..... ?

I'm mostly a body butter gal, but I'm also confused: are you asking for a lotion recipe of any sort as long as it's lotion? In which case, you can find a lot of recipes by either using the search bar or by perusing the bath and body forum in general.
Or are you having trouble with an existing recipe not working in a squeeze bottle for some reason? In which case, what recipe are you using, and why is it not working?

I'm looking for a lotion recipe thin enough to come out of a bottle easily. The bottles I have are kind of rigid - you never know how squeezable (or not) the bottles are when you order online!

Here's my current recipe, I want something thinner. Can I drop the stearic entirely? Will it still emulsify?

1604084964959.png

If you remove the e-wax and drop the stearic to half, you will be amazed at how thin this lotion will be. I would substitute with something like LotionPro.

My body butter is 40% oil phase with 5% divided between Stearic and Cetyl, with butters and lanolin at almost 20% and I am still able to pump freely. Much like a thick lotion

Other ideas to make this recipe more fluid --

Change from stearic acid to cetyl alcohol
Omit the thickener entirely. Be aware the texture with just the emulsifier might be less smooth - more like kefir than yogurt.
Cut the emulsifier and thickener by 1/3 to 1/2 and increase the water accordingly.
Increase the water content to about 85% (or maybe a bit higher) either by reducing just the emulsifier and thickener (see previous idea) or by scaling down all ingredients except for fragrance and preservative.

Last edited:
If you remove the e-wax and drop the stearic to half, you will be amazed at how thin this lotion will be. I would substitute with something like LotionPro.

My body butter is 40% oil phase with 5% divided between Stearic and Cetyl, with butters and lanolin at almost 20% and I am still able to pump freely. Much like a thick lotion
Can u remove the e wax totally? I thought this was needed to bind the water and oils together 🤔

You do need an emulsifier, but you don't have to use e-wax specifically. Saponificarian is suggesting to use LotionPro in place of the e-wax. I haven't used LotionPro, but I do know switching to another emulsifier can change the fluidity and feel of the lotion.

You do need an emulsifier, but you don't have to use e-wax specifically. Saponificarian is suggesting to use LotionPro in place of the e-wax. I haven't used LotionPro, but I do know switching to another emulsifier can change the fluidity and feel of the lotion.
Thank you! Interesting as I would have tried maybe upping my water🤔

Yes, another option is to increase the water content if you want a lighter feeling, more flowable lotion with otherwise the same emulsifier and other ingredients. That's one of the suggestions I made in Post 9 above.

@purely soaps, what DeeAnna said.

Some emulsifiers won’t thicken your lotions, thereby giving you the freedom to thicken your lotions however you like. That is what I like about LotionPro. I can make a cream with the ingredients I want without worrying too much about it not being pump-able.

I tend to make thick body butters that resist wash off as we all have dry skin in my family. This works for us plus Calgary is also quite dry, it keeps my skin from looking ashen by the end of the day.

I'm looking for a lotion recipe thin enough to come out of a bottle easily. The bottles I have are kind of rigid - you never know how squeezable (or not) the bottles are when you order online!

Here's my current recipe, I want something thinner. Can I drop the stearic entirely? Will it still emulsify?

View attachment 51048
Hi, you can drop the stearic acid altogether. It is included in recipes as a thickener but if you aren't looking for a cream the ewax will have enough cetyl or cetearyl alcohol to stop it being too thin and to add stability to your emulsion. I personally don't like stearic acid in a lotion and prefer cetyl alcohol because it has a much nicer feeling. Stearic drags. I would only use it in something like a foot cream

If you like your lotion as is, if it were me, I'd find a squeezable bottle. I ran into this problem with a wholesale customer. Rather than changing the lotion formula, we ended up using a 4 oz. cobalt blue PET cosmo oval (squeezable bottle) from BayouSome. ;)

If you like your lotion as is, if it were me, I'd find a squeezable bottle. I ran into this problem with a wholesale customer. Rather than changing the lotion formula, we ended up using a 4 oz. cobalt blue PET cosmo oval (squeezable bottle) from BayouSome. ;)

Well, I have a bunch of not-very-squeezable bottles I'd like to use. Also...how do you know how squeezable a bottle is before you order?

Latest posts

Back