Lotion problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerliesa

Reaction score
I have no idea what I did wrong guys but I have a big problem and feel like I may have wasted a lot of great ingredients. My lotion/cream is refusing to thicken. Like, it’s literally water consistency.

My recipe is:
68% water
7.5 % Shea butter
7.5 % Mango butter
1.5% capuacu butter
1.5% kokum butter
1% isopropyl myristate
1% luxglide n350
5% stearic acid
5% ewax
1% preservative

I have used this recipe many times before with no problems, Does anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? The only difference between this time and others is that I used he double boiler method to melt my wax, stearic and butters instead of the microwave because my microwave is currently not working. Also heated my water on the stove.

Any chance the boiling water splashed into your waxes while melting? I had that happen once when I didn't turn the heat down on the double boiler soon enough.

How long did you have it on the heat? Do you normally replace water after heating to compensate for water loss due to evaporation? Maybe the microwave causes more evaporation than you got on the stove.

Dang, I hate it when a batch of lotion fails, especially when I have expensive additives. Also, do you always heat the luxglide n350 or do you add it to the lotion after it is emulsified? I know silicones can cause emulsification failure if they are heated, plus I noticed on WSP the most current comment from the staff mentioned adding to the heat phase but an earlier comment mentioned adding after the lotion is emulsified. Which to believe. :confused:

Latest posts

Back