Lotion making and stick blending

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I've only made lotion once before today. That was a small batch (4 oz) and I used a coffee frother to blend. Today, I quadrupled the batch, so still not a large batch, but bigger. The first time I 'frothed' until it was lotiony. I LOVED it.

Today, I'm using my stick blender and the dang stuff is not getting quite thick enough! My stick blender is HOT!

My question is: do I have to stick blend for 30 minutes? This seems excessive to me! Can I just let it cool down after everything is well blended together? I don't want to burn out my stick blender making lotion, but I so totally loved the way it felt!

So, what's the secret? My temps were right, I was careful measuring, etc. etc. Just wait for cool down and then do a final add-the-preservative-and-FO?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You don't have to stick-blend that much- the thickening has more to do with temperature, I think.
I usually mix my oil & water phase a stick-blend for maybe 30 seconds. I then hand- stir every once in awhile until I'm ready to add the cool down ingredients. After adding the cool down phase, I stick blend again for maybe 30 seconds to a minute. You should see the lotion get thicker as it cools.
I hope this helps!

My first guess (knowing little about lotion making) is that the difference lies between whisking (or frothing) and blending.
Maybe, now that is it blended, try splitting it up into 4-8 oz batches and using the frother again to "froth" it into the more desired consistency? Or maybe try whisking it?

It can take up to 24 hours for a lotion to "thicken" as it cools down. You can speed up the process by using an ice bath when you stick blend your lotion.

I stick blend for like 50 seconds then take a break like one minute again stick blend for 50 sceonds till light emulsion starts to form, then I switch to my KA mixer. I had never hear about someone stick blending for 30 min, Every lotion needs high gear on the beginning . I use many different emulsifiers

Agree with @Cellador et al.. I usually stick blend for a minute or so then let it cool for ten, stick blend again for a minute, let it cool for ten, and repeat this until just very slightly warm so the preservative etc. can be mixed in. Then give it another quick burst, bottle it up, and then let it cool completely. I don’t make big batches (8oz max), but the bigger the batch the slower it cools and thickens. For me it takes usually about 20-30 minutes (which only means 2-3 minutes of stick blending).
But, I completely remember my very first batch, when I mixed them together and panicked that it will never ever thicken! It always does though.

Last edited:
I would not use a frother for making lotion. If it is going to thicken on it's own during cooldown if it was a good emulsification. I usually give my lotions a burst or two while it is cooling in an ice batch, but I make a gallon at a time. My other trick is to freeze part of my water requirement or at least have it really cold to add in after I stick blend until it is emulsified, then I add in the icy cold water and blast with the SB. This really helps with cool down but again I am making a larger batch and want it cooled down as quick as possible to add in my preservatives.

Yeah frother is a bad idea, we do want to have smooth lotion without air, Czmaha you must have commericial stick blender to be able to move a gallon of lotion

Like many others said - I only stick blend briefly ...I do it in pulses rather than steady on, for maybe 60 seconds tops then switch to hand stirring ...otherwise you end up with a lot of air in your product that might not ever settle. Lotion & creams are such fun!

Last edited:
I would not use a frother for making lotion. If it is going to thicken on it's own during cooldown if it was a good emulsification. I usually give my lotions a burst or two while it is cooling in an ice batch, but I make a gallon at a time. My other trick is to freeze part of my water requirement or at least have it really cold to add in after I stick blend until it is emulsified, then I add in the icy cold water and blast with the SB. This really helps with cool down but again I am making a larger batch and want it cooled down as quick as possible to add in my preservatives.

So My very first batch of lotions at a smaller scale was great. However as i went up to a larger scale it didn’t go so well.
I notice you mention you (cooling phase) you give it an ice bath?
Im wondering if my mistake is warming /heating my distilled water and adding to my oil/ wax/ emulsified mixture is a no no?! So one time i believe i poured my lotions into the bottles way too early so that created condensation but i fixed the problem by waiting till it cooled down to 105-100 degrees. I’ve also made a mistake by over blending it that it created tiny air bubbles. I’ve also made a mistake adding mica solution and it didn’t break down as i thought it would so that batch was considered “bad batch”. Is there anybody here that can share their technique so i won’t come across these mistakes again please and thank you! :)

So My very first batch of lotions at a smaller scale was great. However as i went up to a larger scale it didn’t go so well.
I notice you mention you (cooling phase) you give it an ice bath?
Im wondering if my mistake is warming /heating my distilled water and adding to my oil/ wax/ emulsified mixture is a no no?! So one time i believe i poured my lotions into the bottles way too early so that created condensation but i fixed the problem by waiting till it cooled down to 105-100 degrees. I’ve also made a mistake by over blending it that it created tiny air bubbles. I’ve also made a mistake adding mica solution and it didn’t break down as i thought it would so that batch was considered “bad batch”. Is there anybody here that can share their technique so i won’t come across these mistakes again please and thank you! :)
I'm by far not an expert so hopefully someone more experienced will come along to help.

I usually have both my water phase (incl. the distilled water) and oil phase heated in a water bath for a good 15 minutes or so, more for a bigger batch (until everything melts and dissolves). Then I slowly transfer one into the other and blend the whole thing -- blend for a minute, wait, blend again, wait, etc., until the whole thing cools to lukewarm and thickens. Then I add the cooldown ingredients and then bottle it up. I don't use an ice bath, but I could see that for huge batches that would help. I just wait for the cooling and do something else meanwhile.

Re: coloring. I don't color often, but have found that lake dyes are the best -- they give great uniform color. I mix it to the water phase before heating, or even to the done batch if I forget. (You would never believe what a teeny amount of lake dye you need to give some color. And of course you can always go wild with it :).)

Last edited:
The reason I always have frozen or slushy water from my water requirement is so I can hurry cool down time and my gallon + stainless steel bowl is sitting in an ice bath. Emulsifying wax has and water have to be hot enough to create emulsion, although there is at least one cold emulsifier. I only add in the ice or ice water after a good emulsification is acquired. Bacteria can start growing if it takes to long to cool down. I want my lotion cool enough to at least add it my preservative that tolerates the highest temp then I relax until cool enough to add my other preservative. I do still heat and hold my water and oil if for no other reason to know the oil and water are ready to accept each other ;)

I'm by far not an expert so hopefully someone more experienced will come along to help.

I usually have both my water phase (incl. the distilled water) and oil phase heated in a water bath for a good 15 minutes or so, more for a bigger batch (until everything melts and dissolves). Then I slowly transfer one into the other and blend the whole thing -- blend for a minute, wait, blend again, wait, etc., until the whole thing cools to lukewarm and thickens. Then I add the cooldown ingredients and then bottle it up. I don't use an ice bath, but I could see that for huge batches that would help. I just wait for the cooling and do something else meanwhile.

Re: coloring. I don't color often, but have found that lake dyes are the best -- they give great uniform color. I mix it to the water phase before heating, or even to the done batch if I forget. (You would never believe what a teeny amount of lake dye you need to give some color. And of course you can always go wild with it :).)
Awesome! Okie thanks for the tips

The reason I always have frozen or slushy water from my water requirement is so I can hurry cool down time and my gallon + stainless steel bowl is sitting in an ice bath. Emulsifying wax has and water have to be hot enough to create emulsion, although there is at least one cold emulsifier. I only add in the ice or ice water after a good emulsification is acquired. Bacteria can start growing if it takes to long to cool down. I want my lotion cool enough to at least add it my preservative that tolerates the highest temp then I relax until cool enough to add my other preservative. I do still heat and hold my water and oil if for no other reason to know the oil and water are ready to accept each other ;)
Ok thank you! Which preservative do you prefer and at about what temperature do you add it to the mixture?

Back