Lotion bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlfishe

Reaction score
Every time I make lotion bars using shea butter they turn out soft and greasy…..any suggestions?

Did I just get paged? I am happy to report to the front desk and talk all things lotion bars!

I have long used this ratio: 1/3 each of beeswax, a butter, a liquid oil -- plus 1% essential oil and 1% vitamin E oil. Note the 1/3 can be more than one oil, like I've used 1/6 jojoba and 1/6 meadowfoam seed oil. You can easily re-melt and tweak your ratios to your preference.

For years I used shea butter -- however I now use mango butter. Personally I prefer mango butter because it absorbs quicker than shea and is less greasy.

any suggestions?
This topic has been discussed many times. If t'were me, I would pelt @Zing with every question I had, which would only give him "carte blanche" for showing off ( 😁 teasing), or I would use the Search feature found in the upper right-hand corner of this page, type in "Lotion Bars" and tick the box "Search Titles Only" and hit "Search". (Look for the bald-headed man avatar to learn more)

There are 10 pages going back to 2009 -- where I found this gem:
Lotion Bar for Dry Cracked Heels that incorporates both mango butter and shea butter.

It should be noted that, if you sell, shea butter has label appeal.

BTW, I have a soaping buddy in AZ that no longer sells lotion bars but rather, packages up the raw shea butter and sells that. Thereby she supports her addiction to using shea all over her body. 🤣

Did I just get paged? I am happy to report to the front desk and talk all things lotion bars!

I have long used this ratio: 1/3 each of beeswax, a butter, a liquid oil -- plus 1% essential oil and 1% vitamin E oil. Note the 1/3 can be more than one oil, like I've used 1/6 jojoba and 1/6 meadowfoam seed oil. You can easily re-melt and tweak your ratios to your preference.

For years I used shea butter -- however I now use mango butter. Personally I prefer mango butter because it absorbs quicker than shea and is less greasy.
Hi @Zing - are you still available for consultation at the front desk? 😊

@Zing - I hit reply too soon. So I’m dying to make your lotion bars. I have a friend with bees, and am in talks about a beeswax and soap tradesies deal. If I get said beeswax, I have in stock mango butter, vitamin e and FO. I guess my questions are about:
Can you use fragrance oil or does it really need to be essential oil? I don’t have EO except Orange 10x.
For the oil, I have oat oil that I haven’t used (and all my other standard CP oils), but not jojoba or meadowfoam.
Thoughts and advice? TIA bunches 🌸

@Zing - I hit reply too soon. So I’m dying to make your lotion bars. I have a friend with bees, and am in talks about a beeswax and soap tradesies deal. If I get said beeswax, I have in stock mango butter, vitamin e and FO. I guess my questions are about:
Can you use fragrance oil or does it really need to be essential oil? I don’t have EO except Orange 10x.
For the oil, I have oat oil that I haven’t used (and all my other standard CP oils), but not jojoba or meadowfoam.
Thoughts and advice? TIA bunches 🌸
Good for you! I have never heard of oat oil but it sounds like it would be great -- Soap Queen says: "This oil absorbs quickly and leaves your skin feeling hydrated all day long. It’s rich in fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamin E. You’ll love oat oil’s lightweight and non-greasy texture"

Other light and medium oils are fractionated coconut oil, sunflower oil, grape seed, safflower, meadowfoam seed, rice bran, sweet almond, jojoba, and apricot kernel, hemp seed.

You will love the mango butter.

There is one FO I use which is plumeria.

Careful with citrus EO because some can increase the chance of sunburn. I'm late for work but google it or visit eocalc.com.

It's easy peasy. KEEP ME POSTED!!

Good for you! I have never heard of oat oil but it sounds like it would be great -- Soap Queen says: "This oil absorbs quickly and leaves your skin feeling hydrated all day long. It’s rich in fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamin E. You’ll love oat oil’s lightweight and non-greasy texture"

Other light and medium oils are fractionated coconut oil, sunflower oil, grape seed, safflower, meadowfoam seed, rice bran, sweet almond, jojoba, and apricot kernel, hemp seed.

You will love the mango butter.

There is one FO I use which is plumeria.

Careful with citrus EO because some can increase the chance of sunburn. I'm late for work but google it or visit eocalc.com.

It's easy peasy. KEEP ME POSTED!!
Thank you thank you, and will do. I so appreciate your guidance 🌸

Back