Lotion bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have to ship some lotion bars to Jamaica and Im concerned that my recipe will melt down before it gets there with shipping. I hate to load it up with more beeswax as I feel it has enough in it already.

Does anyone possibly have experience with shipping these? Im using little plastic containers (about 2 oz ) but would like it to remain more solid for the trip.

Any ideas?

I'm kind of questioning whether they would melt. My own did not melt in my cupboards despite +85 F temps this past summer with no A/C. How how hot do you think it will get, and what do you think the melting point would be? maybe you could test the melting point with a hair dryer or something.

Assuming you're still worried: Can you shrink wrap (or vacuum seal) so that they would melt in place, and instruct the receiver to refrigerate before opening?

Uline sells these cool insulated box kits: https://www.uline.com/Grp_93/Insula...gclid=CPaFycX-rtECFRFrfgodmDUCcg&gclsrc=aw.ds They are kind of pricey, but I know one can rig up a similar DYI version up for less money.

For example, I once shipped some lip balms to a family member across country once in the springtime using something similar by making homemade ice packs out of those absorbent Soil Moist crystals used in gardening to keep the soil moist (I had a whole canister on hand- enough to last me a t least a thousand years. lol!). I had heard somewhere that they supposedly stayed colder for longer than those blue ice packs one can buy at the store.

Anyway, I just mixed a small bit of the crystals with water, let them swell up to capacity and filled up some Ziploc bags (double-bagged) with the mixture before laying them flat in my freezer until frozen. Then I wrapped my lip balm in a few layers of bubble wrap before packing them in my box that I insulated with some styrofoam and more bubble wrap that I had on hand, and then I tossed in a few the frozen ice packs before taping it up and shipping it off on a Monday morning (the best time to mail packages from what I was told). For what its worth, my balms actually arrived in good condition without melting (I was worried the whole time that they'd be a melty mess, but they were fine).

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back