Lotion bars...who knew?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Natures Garden has flat 4 oz tins (10 for $8.95). The shipping will be extra.
These are the same ones that I use for my lotion bars.
http://www.minoubleu.com/Monkey-Bars.html
I haven't had any issues with rust, but that could be my choices of FOs and EOs. I DID find one recently that had fallen to the back of a drawer and I know from my notes that it's 4 years old and still no rust on the tin!

These are the same ones that I use for my lotion bars.
http://www.minoubleu.com/Monkey-Bars.html
I haven't had any issues with rust, but that could be my choices of FOs and EOs. I DID find one recently that had fallen to the back of a drawer and I know from my notes that it's 4 years old and still no rust on the tin!
Those look like the tins I bought recently. They’re made from aluminum, which does not rust. I’ve read conflicting information online about storing pure EOs in aluminum. Some sites suggest that only lined/coated aluminum should be used due to the potential for some leaching and some state that unlined aluminum is fine (found mostly on sites that sell the containers). Given the low concentrations of EOs in lotion bars and my attempts to limit the use of plastic, I opted to go with the presumably unlined aluminum containers.

I use these little containers from the Dollar Tree until I can find something better. The cardboard tubes I’ve used get grimy in my bag and the twist tubes for me are a bit big.

DCAD450D-5DFE-43E2-B091-D2B0E27988C6.jpeg

supposedly in tin containers rust will form

No reason for them too is you’re only using butters, oils, waxes. I still have an old lotion bar that I bought many years ago in its original Tim and there is no rust...and I live in the Pacific Northwest.

I currently use small ziplock type bags, but you can also use glassacine (sp) or a cellophane, or wax paper.

I was really excited to see the paperboard tubes from SKS. However, after a lot of product testing (lip and skin balms), I've found they really don't hold up well. If the product is used regularly, the cardboard will shred a bit at the application edge, and I actually had one grow mold - granted, I purposefully got a bit of water on the rim of the tube as part of my testing - just to see what would happen if they got wet during normal use. To be clear - the balm product didn't grow mold, just the cardboard tube.

I use the 2 oz natural twist-up tubes. I hate to use plastic, but at least you can find some plastic tubes that are made from post-consumer plastic.

I use glassine bags for my lotion bars but for the people who want a tin I just cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the tin and then just put the lotion bar on the parchment paper. But since I'm trying to shift to all sustainable packaging I'm trying to use just the glassine bags for my soap and lotion.

Latest posts

Back