Lotion Bars w EOs Arrowroot

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What %PPO of arrowroot do you use? Also, eocalc says “strong“ EO/PPO is 1.5%, but the cocoa butter seems to overpower the EO.
What % EO/PPO do you?

I’ve been adding 2 teaspoons PPO.

Have you tried using a deodorized Cocoa Butter or using half of your CB with Kokum Butter? I do the latter when a scent doesn’t work well with regular CB.

I’ve also started ‘curing’ my lotion bars. While the Arrowroot cuts down on the ‘greasy’ feeling, it’s not enough or fast enough if your trying to do crafts (according to my test groups). So last month one of my crafting groups had a small get-together (our first in eight months) and I brought along a box of my Bars to give away since I was going to have to reformulate. A short time later I was asked what changes I had made to my recipe, that it was so much better. I hadn’t done anything...I just wrapped the bars in coffee filters, put them in the tins, boxed it up and stuck it on the shelf in my garage. Until I make another batch, I can’t be sure if the change is because of time, because of the coffee filters, or a combination of both. Just a thought to consider.

While the Arrowroot cuts down on the ‘greasy’ feeling, it’s not enough or fast enough if your trying to do crafts (according to my test groups).
On Swift Crafty Monkey she recommends adding IPM to help with the greasy feeling. In the UK there is also a natural product called ecosilk that does the same but I'm not sure what the US equivalent would be :thumbs:

So Arrowroot powder can be added to lotion bars? Interesting. The only lotion bars I make I add Zinc Oxide for a wee bit of sun protection, can I still add Arrowroot? Would I need to increase my oil percentage if I add both?
Zinc oxide for sun protection is a great idea for summer!!! I may have to try that? What %PPO do you use, and does it make your skin white?

Zinc oxide for sun protection is a great idea for summer!!! I may have to try that? What %PPO do you use, and does it make your skin white?
Ummm.... I'm at work. when I get home I'll check my recipe book. but I think I added 10 to 15% of total weight. It depends on whether it's Nano/non-Nano zinc oxide and the SPF you want. I use non-Nano so yes it is white but with my low SPF when I rub it in no white is left behind. Plus I personally think the white makes a great base for my make-up. lol

Just a quick search on google: There is a chart for amounts with desired SPF

http://modernhippiehw.com/2014/04/0...ch zinc-oxide do,lotions weight in zinc oxide.

I love it and make about 12 oz. of it at a time in cubes then re-melt it to refill my big roll up tube. Mine's a simple bar with shea and jojoba that I can remember. It's the only lotion I use now, even on my face!

I’d also be very interested to hear a suggested percentage for arrowroot or tapioca. I normally start with 1 T PPO and adjust to my liking, but would love to be more precise about it.

For EOs, the percentage I use depends on the safe usage rate for that specific oil or blend, and the level of scent my user prefers. But for most EOs, the safe usage rate for a leave-on product like lotion bars typically is 2% or less.

IME, shea and non-deodorized CB do need the “ stronger” scent percentage for the EO scent to prevail at all. If I use the mild or medium amounts with them, the scent is pretty faint. It is less of an issue with tallow or mango bc their natural scents are so much weaker.

Last edited:
I made several test batches yesterday. And it was well worth the effort! I prefer by weight measurements sot hat scaling up is easier for me. I actually love %10 PPO for arrowroot, and 1.5-2% for EOs depending on the strength of the EO. I like the idea of trying an unscented cacao butter! And I may actually make perfume bars eventually, with benzoine for a fixative. Anyway, first attempt at full batch size somehow only got me 11 out of 15 cavities filled. And I forgot the Shea butter. 🤦🏻‍♀️ But it was great practice since I have to give them a little trim to make them fit my tin. WSP measurements were off for the molds and tins. I spent SOooooo much time trying to find a mold I liked that would also let me maximize time size and bar volume! At first I was bummed I have to trim them. But it’s actually not that hard, and they look real nice! I can’t wait to show them to you all. Yay!!!
AND... I got the perfect amount!
I’d also be very interested to hear a suggested percentage for arrowroot or tapioca. I normally start with 1 T PPO and adjust to my liking, but would love to be more precise about it.

For EOs, the percentage I use depends on the safe usage rate for that specific oil or blend, and the level of scent my user prefers. But the safe usage rate for a leave-on product like lotion bars typically is 2% or less for most EOs.

IME, shea and non-deodorized CB do need the “ stronger” scent percentage for the EO scent to prevail at all. If I use the mild or medium amounts with them, the scent is pretty faint. It is less of an issue with tallow or mango bc their natural scents are so much weaker.
Im excited to try some deodorized CB. I didn’t realize it was a thing til now, and just ordered some more of what I have. Mostly I love the smell of it though.
I’m really liking the %10 PPO for the arrowroot for myself. But it probably depends a lot on the oils used.

Attachments

• B1842466-6B0A-4B76-AB40-D01EAE2D19A5.jpeg
    B1842466-6B0A-4B76-AB40-D01EAE2D19A5.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 16
  • E13CE989-96B9-4267-A371-2742CD3720CF.jpeg
    E13CE989-96B9-4267-A371-2742CD3720CF.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 19
On Swift Crafty Monkey she recommends adding IPM to help with the greasy feeling.

What is IPM?

So Arrowroot powder can be added to lotion bars? Interesting. The only lotion bars I make I add Zinc Oxide for a wee bit of sun protection, can I still add Arrowroot? Would I need to increase my oil percentage if I add both?

I don't know since I don't use Zinc Oxide. My recommendation would be to make a test batch. I use these 15 Cavity Round Molds for testing and gift Lotion Bars.

What is IPM?
Isopropyl Myristate

@TashaBird thank you, I also prefer weight rather than volume measurements, so it really helps to have a starting percentage to work with! Here are the ones I made yesterday, which will go into a gift box with a soap, shower steamer, and bath bomb.
Lotion Bars.JPG

@AliOop i used %5 PPO arrowroot before, and I like the silkier feeling of more. Different blends might want more or less.

Percentages are best of course, but the measurement is what I had. I think I will try 5%. Thank you. If I can come with a good Lotion Bar for fiber artists (knitters and crocheters), then I have a goof half dozen places that would carry them.

I’m super happy with where my process landed today. I had to give them a slight trim. But the muffin paper expands just enough to get stuck under the rim of the tin. Then the lotion bar pops in and out easy, and the muffin paper stays in place.
now I’m waiting for more cocoa butter. I ran out. Next time I’m getting the deodorized though!
I ordered the silver tins, but they were back ordered. I got the rose gold instead, they’re growing on me.

Attachments

• 048DBE01-E7DF-40D1-B5B9-F7B6F01FAF81.jpeg
    048DBE01-E7DF-40D1-B5B9-F7B6F01FAF81.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2C7D5BED-1CCF-46EA-B0D2-93B8CFFC6022.jpeg
    2C7D5BED-1CCF-46EA-B0D2-93B8CFFC6022.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 18
I’m super happy with where my process landed today. I had to give them a slight trim. But the muffin paper expands just enough to get stuck under the rim of the tin. Then the lotion bar pops in and out easy, and the muffin paper stays in place.
now I’m waiting for more cocoa butter. I ran out. Next time I’m getting the deodorized though!
I ordered the silver tins, but they were back ordered. I got the rose gold instead, they’re growing on me.

I hadn’t thought about cupcake papers...great idea!

Cocoa Butter does overpower some fragrances, but works well with others. I’v experimented with Kokum Butter and I like it.

Percentages are best of course, but the measurement is what I had. I think I will try 5%. Thank you. If I can come with a good Lotion Bar for fiber artists (knitters and crocheters), then I have a goof half dozen places that would carry them.
I make an oil-free lotion that is great for needlework since it leaves no oil residue. You some tweaking you probably could come up with a solid lotion bar using IPM and possibly BTMS. That I have not tried. I hate arrowroot in lotion bars, but love IPM to cut the greasiness.

@violets2217 Keep in mind if you use Zinc Oxide for SPF you cannot sell it as such, on as a lotion. Sunscreen is an OTC drug. Plus you would not want the legal ramifications of selling such an item when you have no proof of the SPF.

Alioop, was that my little Snowman mold? I always loved those little snowmen. They look so cute.

@violets2217 Keep in mind if you use Zinc Oxide for SPF you cannot sell it as such, on as a lotion. Sunscreen is an OTC drug. Plus you would not want the legal ramifications of selling such an item when you have no proof of the SPF.
Thanks! But I don't sell my stuff. I make it just for me and my family!

I make an oil-free lotion that is great for needlework since it leaves no oil residue. You some tweaking you probably could come up with a solid lotion bar using IPM and possibly BTMS. That I have not tried. I hate arrowroot in lotion bars, but love IPM to cut the greasiness.

Alioop, was that my little Snowman mold? I always loved those little snowmen. They look so cute.
What do you hate about arrowroot, and what do you like about IPM? And what is BTMS? I did check the acronym thread first.

Latest posts

Back