Lotion Bars = Lip Balm?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are both anhydrous products and IMO very similar. If you choose to use them, lip balms should contain only EO's or FO's that are safe to swallow in small amounts. Lip balms often contain a sweetener.

Depending on the recipe, yes indeed- they can sometimes be quite exact, or at least very similar. Mine are different from each other in that my lotion bars also contain Polawax, cetyl alcohol and a preservative. I add a preservative to mine because I make them to be used in the shower.

IrishLass :)

Mine are just beeswax, cocoa butter & coconut oil with a dab of Vit E oil - they smell of the cocoa butter and I put them in tins so they can be used on skin or lips.

Pretty much. However, in my experience, lips are warmer than other body parts (like legs). Not necessarily an issue in the summer, but in the winter, my lip balm formula has too high of a melt point to be used as a body bar. So a winter body bar needs a higher percentage of liquid oils.

Does anyone have an issue with melting at Farmers Mkts or outdoor events?

I haven't had an issue with melting, BUT I live in the Pacific Northwest where a hot day to us is 80 degrees (seriously, people lose their minds around here if it gets up to 90). I've thought about bringing a sample lotion bar to the market to keep out, and keeping the others in a tupperware container in a small cooler under the table if the weather got to be too much. Luckily our market requires a canopy, so it helped that the lotion bars were in the shade, too.

My lotion bars are very similar softness wise to my lip balms. I have no issues with melting as long as they aren't in direct sunlight. Even in 90 degree weather. I prefer them a bit softer than harder.

I make sure all lip balms and lotion bars can pass the pocket test on a 90 degree day. This limits melting issues. I use my recipes interchangeably, as I do not use flavor oils or colorants.

Back