Lotion Bar with Kokum Butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nat

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm looking to make a lotion/massage bar with kokum butter as the main ingredient. I'm hoping to avoid cocoa butter as it is comedogenic. I also do not want to use beeswax, as I'm trying to get as make it as similar to the Organic Therapy Bar by LUSH as possible!

Would a ratio of 3:1 for kokum butter to shea butter work best here? Would you recommend adding a carrier oil?

Any input is much appreciated!

I don't know a lot about lotion bars, but it sounds like that's gonna be a rock. Maybe more like 1/2 and half?

I've never made a lotion bar without beeswax but if I did I would probably sub kokum butter because it's so hard. A 3:1 ratio of kokum to shea sounds like it might not be melty enough. I'd probably go with a 1:1 ratio and tweak from there. The 3:1 ratio might work better with a liquid oil instead of shea.

I'd add a bit of a liquid oil, think extra firm lip balm. Try a few small batches and see what feels the best to you.

You can replace beeswax with kokum butter - I've done it successfully. I'd share the recipe but threw it out after I switched to using stearic acid.

I did use a combo of kokum, shea nicolita (a soft spreadable butter at room temp) coconut oil and almond oil.

Back