Lotion bar with avocado oil. Icky colour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purplerain

Reaction score
Made a couple of lotion bars a few days ago and just love them. 2 oz. Coconut oil, 2 oz cocoa butter and somewhat less beeswax plus a bit of bit. Vitamin E oil. Coloured one with a bit of alkanet root powder infused in oil, left the other plain, added some FO and they are wonderful.
Wanted to play around a bit so made a second batch of 2, subbing a mix of avocado oil and grape seed oil for the co, as follows:57 gr cocoa butter,
36 gr beeswax,
38 gr avocado oil, 18 gr grape seed oil
1 tsp vit e oil
Alkanet root powder infused in oil in 1/2 of the batch plus 12 drops FO
drama queen mica infused in oil plus 12 drops FO in the other 1/2
2 problems - a bit softer and greasier than I would like (liked the first batch better).
But mainly - my god they are ugly! The colour is appalling. The greeness of the avocado oil makes it impossible to colour the bars to anything but a pretty horrible brown.
Also, I tried putting the colourant in the bottom of each mold, then adding the melted oils - really didn't mix much. Settled to the bottom.
I wanted to use avocado oil because I read how much some people like it in leave-on body products, but what do you do about the colour? Is there some kind one can get that isn't so green?(this is extra virgin from the supermarket).
Here's a photo - first good batch at the top. Second icky batch at the bottom.

So, how do I use avocado oil in lotion bars without it looking so awful? And a little harder maybe.

View attachment 16780

T ImageUploadedBySoap Making1443069504.956242.jpg

I would avoid grapeseed oil in a lotion bar -- it becomes rancid far too quickly to use in a product like this. If you are using the vitamin E as an antioxidant to protect the grapeseed, keep in mind it's not all that good. You'd be better off using a more effective antioxidant such as rosemary oleoresin (ROE). Or using a longer lived oil such as meadowfoam ... or go back to the coconut oil.

I use the avocado oil from Soaper's Choice. I just live with the color. I love the way that the avocado oil makes my skin feel. Once I subbed jojoba for avocado in my lipbalm and did NOT like it. I don't sell - do customers really pay that much attention to the color of lip balm / lotion bar?

No they do not pay attention to the color in lip balm and lotion bars. I never color either, most of my color will come from the beeswax or other waxes, and I happen to love the soft green of avocado, although my refined Avo from Cibaria is not green and it dis-appoints me. As DeeAnna mentioned nix the grapeseed in lotions bars. Hemp is another oil I do not use in lotion bars due to short shelf life

I love the green that comes from avocado and hemp oil. Sometimes I play it up with a hint of lime green or secret garden mica. Maybe that will help you... accepting it and making it a prettier green instead of purple/red.

The avocado I use is from costco and its about the same color as regular OO, maybe just a little bit more green. It doesn't discolor lotion at all but I've never used it in a lotion bar.
Personally, I don't want colorants in my lotion bars or lipbalms. I would just embrace the weird color. To make it harder, ditch the grapeseed and add some coconut back in.

Less avocado would reduce the green, but if you like how the avo feels at this percentage, that might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater. What about playing up the green theme instead by adding a suitable fruity or citrusy EO blend?

So I melted the icky bars down, added more cocoa butter, beeswax and almond oil plus a bit of Rosemary oleoresin. Got three full bars out of the 2 and a bit I started with. The diluted colour came out like a dark beeswax, which is ok and they are less sticky/oily (not as nice as my first ones tho). So, they are better. The mixed up fragrance, however is divine. Baby powder, rose garden and Champaka FO's (added a bit more Champaka). A happy accident. Wouldn't have thought of using them together.
As always, thanks for all your help!

I love Avocado Oil. I use 10% in CP. I think the green in your lotion bar just adds to the naturalness(is that a word?) of your lotion bar.

The beeswax is pretty white. Get it at the farmers market. It don't think it is the problem. Going to look for the Costco avo oil and see if it is lighter. And will see how it works to play off the green. I somehow just can't get my head around a green lotionish thing. Also, not overly wild about citrus scents in a bar like this. Maybe I could try a soft floral. Lily of the valley maybe.

Latest posts

Back