Lotion bar recipe question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So can i use soy wax ya reckon? Instead of Beeswax? I'm trying to stick to my vegan theme.

I use soy wax (100%) in my lotion bars. It does cause it to melt a bit easier, so I tend to use a higher % of soy wax than one would use beeswax. I also use a high % of hard butter with lower % of oil.

I use soy wax (100%) in my lotion bars. It does cause it to melt a bit easier, so I tend to use a higher % of soy wax than one would use beeswax. I also use a high % of hard butter with lower % of oil.
By 100%, do you mean as a complete replacer for beeswax? Because I don't think you mean a 100% soywax lotion bar, yes?

By 100%, do you mean as a complete replacer for beeswax? Because I don't think you mean a 100% soywax lotion bar, yes?

Sorry! Lemme clarify lol. I mean the 100% soy wax such as Golden Foods 415, that has no other additives! But yes, a complete replacer for beeswax!

Depending on how warm your climate is, try starting with 35% or 40% soy wax with 5% cetyl alcohol as a beeswax replacer.

Sorry! Lemme clarify lol. I mean the 100% soy wax such as Golden Foods 415, that has no other additives! But yes, a complete replacer for beeswax!

Depending on how warm your climate is, try starting with 35% or 40% soy wax with 5% cetyl alcohol as a beeswax replacer.

Soy wax has a nice feel on skin IMHO.

Hope

Skin cracks....eeek, *so painful*. And they never heal....some sort of mystifying dark magic cut that is immune to the skin's normal procedures! I get them on my thumbs each and every winter and the things that don't work are: any lotions, including Heel Balm; any medical ointments with bandaids overnight; any other thing. Only thing that has worked for me? 3M Skin Crack Care. Pain goes away within an hour, because it seals up the nerves. Then it heals within a few days. A little bottle should last a long time, as you really just apply once a day when you have a crack. I'm all about lotion bars for regular skin stuff, but those cracks are a true medical issue.

Skin cracks....eeek, *so painful*. And they never heal....some sort of mystifying dark magic cut that is immune to the skin's normal procedures! I get them on my thumbs each and every winter and the things that don't work are: any lotions, including Heel Balm; any medical ointments with bandaids overnight; any other thing. Only thing that has worked for me? 3M Skin Crack Care. Pain goes away within an hour, because it seals up the nerves. Then it heals within a few days. A little bottle should last a long time, as you really just apply once a day when you have a crack. I'm all about lotion bars for regular skin stuff, but those cracks are a true medical issue.
Thanks for the info. I hate those cracks on my fingers, and they stay very sore for days!

Zing! My fingers STILL crack and bleed in winter, and that's even using a @TashaBird tallow lotion bar, although hers are SO MUCH nicer than the ones I was making for myself. (mine: beeswax, shea butter, a soft oil like olive) What's your secret ingredient? Do I need to shell out for meadowfoam seed oil?! My own tend to just feel greasy on top of my skin. Tasha's soak in but I still get cracks. I finally bought some tallow and am going to experiment but I came here wondering what % beeswax to use to make a bar that won't melt sitting in the sun inside a glass 'house' at work. (I move trailers around a freight yard with a machine made for this purpose.)
Have you considered slathering your hands and then wearing lightweight gloves (like book or antique conservators wear) to bed? I found that worked great for me!

Good to see you! So sorry that lotion bars don't help your fingers cracking. My fingers cracked and bled every winter until I started using my own lotion bars. Those cracks were so very painful and I resorted to using liquid cement or super glue to stop the pain.

Sorry about your hands. My main recipe is 1/3 each of beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter. I don't know what to advise you except to experiment. If it helps you at all, my son will only use lotion bars that have 50% beeswax -- his rock climbing hands take a beating.

Following your 1/3 each recipe, which is pretty much the proportions I use, if I wanted to use lard or tallow, would I sub it for the coconut oil or the shea butter?

Following your 1/3 each recipe, which is pretty much the proportions I use, if I wanted to use lard or tallow, would I sub it for the coconut oil or the shea butter?
I'm so sorry but I have no experience with using animal products in lotion bars or soap. But I bet a search on this forum will turn up something. Good luck!

Not used lard or tallow but I'm guessing you'll have to check melting point of each.. One to know if you're to melt it first or last, coz in my experience with lard in soap, it smells when heated too long or too much.

Also, to know how melty your final product will be - increase or decrease lard/tallow compared to coconut oil/shea - otherwise you'll end up with a bar that's too soft or too hard, etc.

Or you can always just wing it and try different combos lol

Back