Lotion bar recipe question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the lotion bars I've made are sized to last awhile -- not individual use size. I usually put them in a small metal container with a press-fit top. The lotion bars I've made for these containers are firm enough that a bar will (usually) remain loose in the container. When you want to use it, you tip or shake the bar into your hand, let it warm a bit in your hands, apply, and then put it back in the container.

Another option for a formulation that's a bit softer is to put the product in a mini-size deodorant container or a jumbo 0.5 oz lip balm tube. I like this as well.

Gotcha. Thanks. I was thinking you were talking the little square mint sizes, about the size of a single gummi bear. And then I thought of the single use soap petals, and wondered if it was the same idea.

I have those tubes--I love the big lip balm tube for.....lip balm. But as I primarily use lotion on my hands, the tubes make it more difficult to navigate around the knuckles, etc.

Even a gummy bear mold would be too large as a single use portion, I'd think. I'd probably end up throwing some of it away.
I made little snowman bars, and even that fairly simple shape (two circles, basically) didn't end up working well when the bar became thin. Simplified shapes, like a single circle, square, or rectangle are probably best for lotion bars that are not in a tube applicator. But I plan to switch to the tubes myself.

What do y'all think of this recipe for a hot, humid climate?
25% beeswax
20% hemp seed oil
20% jojoba oil
19% coconut oil (76 degree)
15% cocoa butter
1% vitamin E

All you can do is make a small batch and see how it feels. I do recommend two things: 1) Add some Arrowroot or Tapioca Starch. 2). Let them ‘cure’ for a couple of weeks. I make two sizes...one about the size of a 50 cent piece and the other is with those ‘bee’ cavity molds. The smaller ones fit it a 1oz tin and I just drop them in after they have cooled solid in the frig. The others get wrapped in a small coffee filter and dropped in a 2 oz tin. I then out them in a box and let them sit on the shelf for a couple of weeks.

One thing about using Cocoa Butter is deciding if you are going to use natural or deodorized if you plan to scent your bars. For some scents, the cocoa smell can wash out the scent, with others it compliments it.

@Angie Gail I'm an evangelist for making lotion bars and have tried many recipes. The super cool thing is that experimenting is so easy and the results are nearly instantaneous -- unlike making soap! I've made a batch of lotion bars, wanted it "harder" so re-melted and added more beeswax, and vice-versa wanting it softer and adding more oil.

My basic recipe is 1/3 each of beeswax, shea or cocoa butter, coconut oil, scented with an essential oil at 1% of oil weight (or check on eocalc.com). From that theme are many variations. For example, in place of coconut oil I've subbed any combination of sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, meadowfoam seed oil, etc.

Have fun with it and keep us posted!
Do you find this proportion feels sticky on the skin? I trialed this and it felt too sticky for me but others didn’t even notice? I’m now going to reduce beeswax to 20%

Even a gummy bear mold would be too large as a single use portion, I'd think. I'd probably end up throwing some of it away.
When you guys were talking about mints, I was imagining, like, tic tacs. I bet if you could make them that small they'd be single use! 🤔

For decades in the wintertime, my hands would be so dry that my fingertips would crack and bleed. I tried every store brand lotion and still had a problem. But the lotion bars were my miracle cure. Let us know how it goes.

Zing! My fingers STILL crack and bleed in winter, and that's even using a @TashaBird tallow lotion bar, although hers are SO MUCH nicer than the ones I was making for myself. (mine: beeswax, shea butter, a soft oil like olive) What's your secret ingredient? Do I need to shell out for meadowfoam seed oil?! My own tend to just feel greasy on top of my skin. Tasha's soak in but I still get cracks. I finally bought some tallow and am going to experiment but I came here wondering what % beeswax to use to make a bar that won't melt sitting in the sun inside a glass 'house' at work. (I move trailers around a freight yard with a machine made for this purpose.)

Do you find this proportion feels sticky on the skin? I trialed this and it felt too sticky for me but others didn’t even notice? I’m now going to reduce beeswax to 20%
Beeswax always feels sticky to me, as well. For my own bars, I tend to use very little (~10%) and make up for it with more cocoa butter or other hard butters. But my hairdresser loves my higher beeswax bars because she has to wash so often, and the wax coating protects her skin from getting as dried out. To each her own!

Beeswax always feels sticky to me, as well. For my own bars, I tend to use very little (~10%) and make up for it with more cocoa butter or other hard butters. But my hairdresser loves my higher beeswax bars because she has to wash so often, and the wax coating protects her skin from getting as dried out. To each her own!
Thanks for that. I suppose life would be boring if we liked all the same things 😉

Zing! My fingers STILL crack and bleed in winter, and that's even using a @TashaBird tallow lotion bar, although hers are SO MUCH nicer than the ones I was making for myself. (mine: beeswax, shea butter, a soft oil like olive) What's your secret ingredient? Do I need to shell out for meadowfoam seed oil?! My own tend to just feel greasy on top of my skin. Tasha's soak in but I still get cracks. I finally bought some tallow and am going to experiment but I came here wondering what % beeswax to use to make a bar that won't melt sitting in the sun inside a glass 'house' at work. (I move trailers around a freight yard with a machine made for this purpose.)
Sorry about your hands. My main recipe is 1/3 each of beeswax, coconut oil, shea butter. I don't know what to advise you except to experiment. If it helps you at all, my son will only use lotion bars that have 50% beeswax -- his rock climbing hands take a beating.

@KiwiMoose, I think soy wax would have too low a melting point, but the great thing about these is you can make them using as much product as you want and see what you think. I've made batches as small as two ounces to try different combinations.. Can you get candalilla wax in NZ? It's used in vegan recipes. You also need less wax than beeswax.

@KiwiMoose, I think soy wax would have too low a melting point, but the great thing about these is you can make them using as much product as you want and see what you think. I've made batches as small as two ounces to try different combinations.. Can you get candalilla wax in NZ? It's used in vegan recipes. You also need less wax than beeswax.
yes we can ! Thanks carly!

Have you ever tried "No-Crack" super hand cream? Or can you try adding mineral oil or lanolin to your lotion bars?
Ingredients: Water, Emulsifying Wax NF, Propylene Glycol, Mineral Oil, Lanolin, Allantoin, Sorbic Acid

The no-crack cream is the best I've ever found for my hands, which can also literally crack and bleed in the winter. Through some trial and error I found it to be the mineral oil that worked the magic on my hands. I still buy the no-crack because it works so good, it's already made, and one tub will last me a few winters without going off/rancid. Ugh - how I hate cracked hands!

Have you ever tried "No-Crack" super hand cream? Or can you try adding mineral oil or lanolin to your lotion bars?
Ingredients: Water, Emulsifying Wax NF, Propylene Glycol, Mineral Oil, Lanolin, Allantoin, Sorbic Acid

The no-crack cream is the best I've ever found for my hands, which can also literally crack and bleed in the winter. Through some trial and error I found it to be the mineral oil that worked the magic on my hands. I still buy the no-crack because it works so good, it's already made, and one tub will last me a few winters without going off/rancid. Ugh - how I hate cracked hands!

I have not heard of this! I will look for it next winter for sure. Thank you Kim! I have in desperation used bag balm on the cuts, bandaided overnight to promote healing. It helps a lot but I can't stand the bag balm just as a hand lotion because it's so sticky.

I have not heard of this! I will look for it next winter for sure. Thank you Kim! I have in desperation used bag balm on the cuts, bandaided overnight to promote healing. It helps a lot but I can't stand the bag balm just as a hand lotion because it's so sticky.
Just a little observation- that does appear to be an emulsion, since it contains emulsifying wax and water. Basically, lotion. And while oil/fat/wax combos like lotion bars can keep your skin from losing water as quickly, they don't add water back, which is what emulsified lotions, body butters, and creams do. The mineral oil and other ingredients in the hand cream may also improve your formula, but water may be the ingredient your skin really needs through dry winter months.

Not sure where you are in PA, but I get mine from Duluth Trading Co, and there's a location in Pittsburgh. :)

Latest posts

Back