Lotion bar on lips?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godiva

Reaction score
I made a few lotion bars, first time, gave a couple to friends to try out. My son gave one to his girlfriend. She wanted to know if she could use it on her lips, like lip balm. So I checked the ingredients for lip balm, and the only difference I see (other than the percentages, perhaps, but I didn't check that closely) is the addition of cornstarch. So I tried it on my lips, and I got a tingly sensation.

Here's what I used - beeswax, cocoa butter, mango butter, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, peppermint EO, and cornstarch. No color.

Could it be the cornstarch that's causing the tingly? It actually feels pretty good on my lips now that the tingly is gone. I would imagine that it's safe to use on lips as it's nothing different from some lip balm recipes, and we use cornstarch in cooking. Wouldn't it?

My guess is the peppermint EO. I used a ton of it in a soap & it gave a tingly sensation in areas where one wouldn't necessarily want that :shock:

you might want to consider whether or not your fragrance material is food grade

angbaby4974 said:
My guess is the peppermint EO. I used a ton of it in a soap & it gave a tingly sensation in areas where one wouldn't necessarily want that :shock:

LOL!

carebear said:
you might want to consider whether or not your fragrance material is food grade

I checked out between friends too which is where I purchased the EO, and it says it's ok to use in lip balms. So I would assume that it would be skin safe, but not necessarily food grade (do they make EO's that are food grade?)

Peppermint EO will tingle "other" delicate body parts as well so use caution, esp if adding to a Kama Sutra type product 8) .

Tabitha said:
Peppermint EO will tingle "other" delicate body parts as well so use caution, esp if adding to a Kama Sutra type product 8) .

All I've made so far is soap and these lotion bars. Not to kama sutra type products....yet! Probably won't get there anytime soon, either. Wonder if this is what they put in some of those products that you might purchase at a surprise party?? LOL

Back