Lost $$$ of Soap Today

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacyspy

Reaction score
I was finally able to replenish most of my stock, and went to my Sat. market. Got set up for 7am, and was having a good morning... Then, out of nowhere, a huge freak storm blew in. The row of vendors I was in got the worst of it... Lightning, 50-60 mph wind gusts, torrential rain... I'm going to say I've lost 90% of the stock I brought. Not to mention, my canopy is a total loss.
I'm so sad, and upset. Thank goodness the children are ok, they were very scared and I finally got them calmed down. The back of my new car is covered in soap, and soaking wet. I pull in at home, and there's tree branches everywhere, rivers of water running into the back yard, and the rain gauge is overflowing.
Just thankful we're ok, and I have to remember- It's soap, I can make more.

Glad to hear you and the children are OK! If you are looking for some sort of silver lining, and I know there isn't much that could be considered such, you now have a legitimate excuse to try every new technique and recipe you've been thinking about and to order supplies that you have had your eye on. But again, that's no substitute for being unharmed.

Last edited:
I'm glad you and the children are unharmed but I am so sorry about your stock. I had a similar incident occur a few years ago and I lost most of my stock that day too so I know exactly how you feel.

So sorry that happened to you. That really stinks. I had a similar incident 3 weeks ago and it sucks. Glad you and the kiddies are okay. As you said it was only soap.

Oh reading this just gave me a pain in my chest! I'm so sorry for you! It seems like you're having an amazing attitude about it and I'm glad you are all safe!

Sounds terrible, we can be so unprotected at markets. Can you relabel and pretty up the soap and have a storm damage sale so you can buy new supplies?

**update**

Thanks for the concern and good wishes :)
My insurance will cover a portion of my loss, at about 60%. My agent happens to be across the street, and came out as soon as the rain let up, took photos, and got the ball rolling. We're not for sure yet, but the market may also cover part of our losses.
I got all the labels off the soap, and put it on racks to see if I can salvage any, so hopefully a "scratch and dent" sale is in the future...lol... I can already see a lot of it is very spongy.

Ouch! That's a rough day! I'm glad you & your kids are ok. Although it is expensive, and a real pain, everything else can be replaced.

Oh no, I'm glad they're covering so much! And I hope you are able to salvage some of that for sale, will leaving them to dry for another long period like with the curing harden them back up again?

I'm glad too! I was worried about covering costs for another canopy, tables and signage.
I got all the labels and packaging off, and they're on racks, so I hope I can save some...most of them seem awfully spongy, so I don't know. Best I can do is see how they feel after this week.
For as stressful as it was, at least I could joke about how everyone knows my soap works...lol...there were bubbles everywhere!

Oh no, I'm glad they're covering so much! And I hope you are able to salvage some of that for sale, will leaving them to dry for another long period like with the curing harden them back up again?

Latest posts

Back