Lost my soap mojo

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatQuirion

Reaction score
During a hysterically busy summer with a large garden and all the preserving stuff that goes along with it, I didn't make a single batch of soap. I've been soaping for over ten years and was regularly using some pretty complex techniques successfully. Needless to say, now that it's winter, it's soaping time again -- and I can't seem to do it properly.

It's like I've forgotten everything. Two batches that look like they were scraped off the side of a barn due to my mangling the procedure, plus having a fragrance oil that smells terrible, and now a "surefire" recipe with a solid EO that I was supposed to stamp but hardened up so fast it looks ridiculous. I'm trying again, but I'm losing hope. Has this ever happened to you? If so, how did you get your mojo back?

Sorry to hear that! What about going back to basics, no fragrance or color or design? I'm into the creativity and complexity -- but there's also a simple elegance in a plain bar of soap.
I'm lucky that my household splits the duties. Mrs. Zing is all about the garden and canning and preserving, and I'm in charge of soap making. Our friends tell us they'll head to our basement if we have a zombie apocalypse.
GOOD LUCK! DON'T GIVE UP!

Cat, I’m in the same situation. I spent the spring, summer, and fall planting, growing, harvesting, and canning until I was ready to tell my garden to stop already! It’s been so long since I’ve made even basic soap that I’m intimidated all over again like I was a beginner! I’m hoping to psych myself up in January before it’s time to start seedlings in February. I will definitely start with a plain, no-frills-added soao.

CatQuirion
Thats most unfortunate' sorry to hear that. Ive discovered in my soaping journey if I go a distance between soap making' it usually takes a few batches to get the hang of it, strange how that is.

Maybe switch up from CP to HP or vice a versa? or remember that one friend' that just loves your soap! consider making soap for them, or donate your soap to an organization, church or outreach program.

I Wish you the best in getting your mojo back.

Update: Maybe join our December Un-Soap Challenge! 👍🏼🧼🤗

Last edited:
During a hysterically busy summer with a large garden and all the preserving stuff that goes along with it, I didn't make a single batch of soap. I've been soaping for over ten years and was regularly using some pretty complex techniques successfully. Needless to say, now that it's winter, it's soaping time again -- and I can't seem to do it properly.

It's like I've forgotten everything. Two batches that look like they were scraped off the side of a barn due to my mangling the procedure, plus having a fragrance oil that smells terrible, and now a "surefire" recipe with a solid EO that I was supposed to stamp but hardened up so fast it looks ridiculous. I'm trying again, but I'm losing hope. Has this ever happened to you? If so, how did you get your mojo back?

I needle knit. Occasionally I get into other things (like soaping) or my fingers are all thumbs and I spend more time frogging and tinking that knitting. So what I do is grab some basic yarn and knit something simple…like a dish cloth in garter stitch. Or I’ll knit a hat for one of the grandbabies…some 2x2 ribbing, round and round knit stitch, a little decrease and it’s done.

So get back to basics…make a small batch of uncolored, unscented soap or a small batch of single-color, unscented soap. Then make a 2-color drop swirl with soap BRV.

Back