Lost in Translation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, since I was still thinking of, and laughing at, the fat in Australia known as "Wik dripping" this morning when I got to work, I tested a coworker.

Me: Darren, I'm going to give you the name of a product sold in Australia. I want you to tell me the first thing that comes to mind.

Darren: all right.

Me: Wik Dripping

Darren: (laughing) is that a penicillin for an STD or something? That don't sound too good.

Me: too busy laughing to speak

What are some other completely innocent things out there in one country that people in another country find odd?

Oh, yeah. The Brits have their spotted dick...

If visiting Australia with your tourist gear on, don't refer to that bag strapped around your waist that's holding your wallet, ID, etc. as a fanny pack. Just sayin'. Fanny means something entirely different down under than it does here in the US. lol

IrishLass :)

Don't use - We are rooting for you in Oz, it means something different.

Doing a U I - means doing a U turn.

Also Aussie is not pronounced with a sound like snake, but a Z.

In the States there is a soda called Sierra Mist.

My dad's brother moved to Germany 30 years ago and visits every few years with fis family. One visit my parents got take out and a bottle of soda. All during dinner my uncle kept looking at the soda bittle funny then he explained. In German mist means urine, specifically cattle or livestock urine.

Unfortunately the visited after the seasonal red-colored cranberry sierra mist had been taken off the shelves

Last edited:
And then of course there is
Yeah no
and
Nah yeah

This reminds me of India. They shake their head for yes. I was watching a touring video on a travel show and the hosts would ask cabbies if they could take them somewhere. They were smiling, saying yes and all the while shaking their heads (no?). It was so weird to see that. I wonder if anyone else shakes their head for yes. Also, do they nod up and down for no?

I know there are several Indians on this forum, can you verify this and enlighten me?

Back