Loss of fragrance.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebirdwing

Reaction score
I was making some melt & pour orange peel soaps today. I melted around 500g of clear glycerine base and added 1 tsp of orange peel powder and 15g of orange essential oil, it was smelling like fresh oranges. Once I poured it and the soap got set, there is no smell of orange at all. Could it be essential oil issue or orange peel absorbed all the fragrance?

@AliOop makes a very good point and one I didn't think of when I first read your post. Smart one, that Alioop!
I make a gelled hair rinse with vinegar but quickly grew tired of my hair smelling like vinegar until it was dry (which takes forever), so I tested and decided to add cinnamon EO. When it came time to add it to my "potion" the cinnamon EO faded after stirring. Finally, I was given some common sense, and asked hubby to smell. I explained what was happening, so he took a big sniff instead of a cautious sniff...yeah...A-whoopsies! I think that's about the time he started calling my bath and body crafts "potions". 🤣
P.S. This was 10+ years ago and I've since moved on to ginger and clove EOs, btw...

@KimW can't claim credit for the coffee-sniffing trick; I think I read it on this forum some time ago.

As an aside, my scalp would be ON FIRE if I added those EOs to my hair rinse, even if highly diluted. And if it got in the eyes :eek:😵 I'm one who can not use any hot EOs in any amount. My skin goes fiery red, my heart begins pounding and racing, and my blood pressure skyrockets. The only exception seems to be highly diluted clove EO in my toothpaste. But most of the time I do ground clove powder bc it is cheaper, and I don't have to worry about getting a teensy drop of it on my skin and going through the crazy reactions.

Goes to show, different strokes for different folks. :)

Thank you all. Yes, I did smell check by smelling peppermints and then smelled the soap, smelled it after few hours, still no change. Well, I dont think Citrus EO will fade, I still have few soaps I made 3-4 months ago smelling great, that was a different brand EO than the one I used now. I guess I will have to go back to my older brand.

Thank you all. Yes, I did smell check by smelling peppermints and then smelled the soap, smelled it after few hours, still no change. Well, I dont think Citrus EO will fade, I still have few soaps I made 3-4 months ago smelling great, that was a different brand EO than the one I used now. I guess I will have to go back to my older brand.
Some soaps I find won't smell unless wet and being bubbled/lathered too. It could be a feature? If that's something you want to go for.

Back