Loose Piped Top: Help?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susan R

Reaction score
I have a few batches under my belt but definitely still a newbie. I made a standard-size loaf of cold process soap yesterday with a piped top. The batter was difficult: I think my fragrance oil was a super-accelerant and my batter was hardening faster than I could pour. I did get it into my loaf mold, gave it a liberal spray with some rubbing alcohol, and then used a piping bag to pipe a nice, white top. The piping was also challenging because the batter was so stiff in the piping bag. Today when I went to cut it, the piped top is loose / falling off on every bar. I’m sure this is because it was hardening so fast. What I’d like to know: is there a fix for the loose tops? Could I “glue” them on with melt-and-pour or is there some other trick?

That’s a great tip, thanks, when soap is too stiff to pipe. In this instance, I was able to pipe but the piping didn’t adhere to the loaf. FYI - I went ahead and used some clear melt-and-pour to glue my piped tops back onto my soap-bar bottoms and it seems to be holding. Anyway, chalking this whole batch of soap up to my learning process.

Did you scent the piping? Normally I don't scent my piping, which makes it much easier to control the consistency of the piping batter. And I find the piping doesn't really need to be scented to have a fully scented bar.
I know it won't help you for this batch, but maybe in future batches.

That's good advice, thanks! Yes, the piping was scented because I simply reserved some unused white batter for my piping bag after fragrance oil had been mixed in. I will for sure reserve my piping batter before adding my fragrance oil in the future. Thanks!

That's good advice, thanks! Yes, the piping was scented because I simply reserved some unused white batter for my piping bag after fragrance oil had been mixed in. I will for sure reserve my piping batter before adding my fragrance oil in the future. Thanks!
What I normally do is make my main batch and then make my piping as a complete separate batch. Takes a bit longer, but you don't need to worry about your piping batter setting up as you are working your main batch.

Back