LOOONG Sandalwood Testing Post

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ETA: Arrgh, formatting is dropping out of the chart, can anyone tell me how to do that?

So, as is probably readily apparent from the below, I am a sandalwood fanatic. Since my folks are Indian, some of my earliest memories include the smell of it, the real stuff, before it became endangered, and I have been looking for it in FOs over the last couple of years. There are so many, how hard can it be for all those scent scientists to replicate it, and which is the one that does? Um, apparently very and none, exactly. Also, sandalwood is one of those FOs that folks seem to always be asking about, so I thought I would try and be organized and share testing results.

Anyway, I am going to test the all the sandalwoods I have here (see chart below). A friend and fellow poster was kind enough to send some impressions of ones I do not have (see additional FOs below chart.) I also have notes on probably 10 or 15 more that I tested in MP, but don’t want to include those here, I just want this to be a CP testing thing. I will take continue to take notes on how the scents hold and post results at 3 mos. And 6 mos.

I was hoping that other folks had tested sandalwoods that are not on the list below and would be willing to send me their impressions, I will add them. When everything is finished I will note the testers initials, so that if you have results that vary, you can say “Oh, NA, she has a bad sniffer, I’m going to rely on “x’s” impressions instead.

View attachment Sandalwood BC FOs tested 7-15 table only.pdf

Last edited:
Not sure how to do that, boyago. I have tried doing it in a pdf (it says that that is an acceptable extension on attachments here) but that's not working either ...

Still couldn't figure out how to cut and paste, and clicking on the pdf is a pain, but at least it won't hurt people's eyes!

Last edited:
I love mysore sandalwood by ot. Smells kinda like pier one store oob, but a light smelling nice sandalwood with no powder notes once soaped cp. That's on your list, but thought I'd shoot off my 2 cents.

The only one I've tried that's not on your list is the Sandalwood FO from Camden Grey. I ordered it back in 2010 so they may have changed suppliers since then but it was too powdery for my taste. Lots of other folks liked it though. I think the Sandalwood Extra from NDA is more woody smelling so it seems more realistic to my nose. But I've only smelled real sandalwood twice so I'm definitely not an expert!

ETA: I've also got Red Santal from Soapalooza but haven't soaped it yet . . . I'll keep you posted on that one

Last edited:
Carolyn, have you tried Gemlite Sandalwood? I really like that one. I have been using it for a while but usually blending. I can't find my big bottle but have ordered ac couple more and will test it on this round by itself again. If you go by JBlaney's, she made a sample, take a sniff and see if you like it. It is cheap and holds pretty well, too.

Latest posts

Back