Looks like it's going to be a soapmaking night tonight.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I think I'm going to use an FO from a Canadian source, Candora Soaps. The scent is Hibiscus Ylang Ylang. I looked up the colors for Hibiscus: orange, yellow, red, pink, purple and white. I'll do an ITP swirl and, since I have 5 long spout pitchers, I'll use the first 5 colors. This will be very similar to the Havana Heat soap I did recently. The main difference is that the Havana Heat colors were all pastels and this Hibiscus one will be all deep colors.

About this Hibiscus Ylang Ylang FO they write, "Relax your senses and promote sleep with this unique blend of tropical hibiscus, blooming ylang and rose on a soft base of sandalwood and cedar. Vanilla Content: 0.30% Creates a little ricing, easy enough to break away. Accelerates trace just a little." (These write-ups remind me of an episode of Seinfeld when Elaine was working for clothier, Mr. Peterman.)

I'll post pictures, as usual - and I'll try to photograph outside of my dungeon!

The soap is made - 5 color ITP. The soap recipe was my new standard. The FO was totally new to me. "Accelerates just a little" might be a kind way of saying "Beware the acceleration!". Poured at thick trace. It may yet work out.

We soap in the kitchen and tonight we decorated the ceiling with soap splatter. We pour the accents twice per spot - once from up high and one down low. Our "up highs" were obviously too high tonight. The Soap Queen's special guest did a tutorial on ITP and said the high pour should be from chest level. I'm sure I was pouring from over my head, and I am tall.

No pictures of the just-poured slab tonight. I'll post pics when it is cut.

I have a hibiscus ylang ylang from WSP… I’ve used it a lot it seems because I just went to smell it and it’s almost gone. ☹️😢 It is a very relaxing scent. But I don’t remember it ricing or accelerating. Hmmm… I’m sure it’ll turn out beautiful! I love an ITP swirl!

We made the cut this morning and...

The slab pics were unimpressive and I was a little worried. I knew we had poured a lot of color and I wondered where it all went:

IMG_3922.JPGIMG_3923.JPGIMG_3924.JPG

Then, after the cut, it was, "Oh! That's where all the color went!"

Attachments

• IMG_3925.JPG
    IMG_3925.JPG
    295.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3926.JPG
    IMG_3926.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3927.JPG
    IMG_3927.JPG
    266.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3928.JPG
    IMG_3928.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3929.JPG
    IMG_3929.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3930.JPG
    IMG_3930.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3931.JPG
    IMG_3931.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 10
@John Harris
Very Kandisky-ish top! If I were you, I probably had spent hours trying to arrange all the cut soap bars sorted by colour. Each one of them is gorgeus, yet it's a pity that the end addressees will probably never see all of them next to each other.

I'm amazed it didn't discolour!
Me as well. Red flag “vanilla” – does the HYY FO have colour stabiliser, or has the browning just not started yet? We'll see… and hope for the best.

Latest posts

Back