Looking to make soap in my silicone molds but I just realized ..I have no idea how to make soap :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherrycoke

Reaction score
Hi all!
Warning: Total beginner here đź‘‹
My goal is to make soap using some silicone molds that I use for resin. I'm realizing that there are many different types of soap, and many ways to screw up, so I figured I'd consult some experts :)

I would like to make a pink soap, cherry blossom scented, in a small batch (~35 fl oz). I'm looking for a recipe for a simple basic soap, that can be removed from the silicone mold within a couple of days without losing sharp details. I really like the way translucent soap looks and would be open to that too!

I know I'm asking a lot but if anyone could help point me in the right direction I would be so grateful. Thanks for reading!

It sounds like what you want is Melt and Pour soap. You can buy soap base in white or clear, easy to melt, color, and scent. And it's ready to come out of the mold within hours. There's a Melt and Pour section of this forum.

I do CP now, but I started with M&P more than 15 years ago. It's a lot of fun, no lye worries, and it's very easy.

It sounds like what you want is Melt and Pour soap. You can buy soap base in white or clear, easy to melt, color, and scent. And it's ready to come out of the mold within hours. There's a Melt and Pour section of this forum.

I do CP now, but I started with M&P more than 15 years ago. It's a lot of fun, no lye worries, and it's very easy.

Thank you so much! I'll look that up- that sounds perfect!

Just some quick tips to offer: make sure you buy dyes for use in soap and not food coloring. Be sure to use fragrance oils within safe suggested levels, and don't add any sort of fresh botanicals or food items to your soap (they will rot or turn nasty colors in the soap). Good luck on your soap art journey! I'm sure we would love to see what you create!đź‘Ť

Yes; it looks like you'd like Melt and Pour soap (MP). I would suggest finding "Low Sweat" melt and pour. And yes, colour blocks are the easiest to use as colourant. You should check out Brambleberry; they've very accessible for beginners.

Just some quick tips to offer: make sure you buy dyes for use in soap and not food coloring. Be sure to use fragrance oils within safe suggested levels, and don't add any sort of fresh botanicals or food items to your soap (they will rot or turn nasty colors in the soap). Good luck on your soap art journey! I'm sure we would love to see what you create!đź‘Ť

I appreciate the tips! I'm so excited to get started!

Yes; it looks like you'd like Melt and Pour soap (MP). I would suggest finding "Low Sweat" melt and pour. And yes, colour blocks are the easiest to use as colourant. You should check out Brambleberry; they've very accessible for beginners.

Great advice! I'm building a cart in brambleberry now. I'll look up "Low Sweat" - haven't heard that one yet. Thanks for the help! I definitely came to the right place :)

Back