Looking to buy a new mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wearytraveler

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new mold and was wondering if anyone here has anything good or bad to say about the Essential Depot red silicone mold with the metal basket. I'm particularly interested in their mold for the larger inside diameter.

Thanks!

I don't use it myself but I've heard good things about it for the most part. I also heard some complain about color transfer from the mold to their soap. Don't know if it's still an issue. Losts of soapmakers use their mold and seem to like them.

Yes, I have heard of (and seen pictures of) color transfer to the soap. This may be very brief, but it would discourage me from purchasing the red.

I have one of the ED silicone molds in the basket. I chose the white silicone, so cannot say anything about the red. I like my mold. The only thing to be aware of is that when you fill it completely or even mostly full, your cut bars of soap are going to be very large squares. You can fill it less full and get more normal sized rectangular bars, but then it seems the mold is being wasted when it's not more full.

My bars from the ED mold come out to 3 x 3.5 inches after planing and beveling. I don't want to cut them in half because then they are too skinny. Another option is to cut them into a normal bar size and a mini bar size and use the mini size for travel or as samples, but again that seems a bit wasteful as well. I already have enough end pieces to provide me with more than enough travel size bars to last me a lifetime!

It is not a bad thing, the size of the bars, just something to be aware of before purchase.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I originally ordered the red but was able to change to the white prior to the molds shipping.
Earlene, the larger size is actually what made me look a bit closer at these molds. I usually SB in a container to emulsification then pour and finish SBing to a light trace right in the mold. The problem I have had with my current molds is that the momentum of the spinning batter would sometimes tend to spill over the top of the mold. These are a bit deeper and would give me a bit more freedom to SB in the mold without worry of spilling. I also like that I can control the final size by adjusting the batter amount.
Thanks again!

I have one of the ED silicone molds in the basket. I chose the white silicone, so cannot say anything about the red. I like my mold. The only thing to be aware of is that when you fill it completely or even mostly full, your cut bars of soap are going to be very large squares. You can fill it less full and get more normal sized rectangular bars, but then it seems the mold is being wasted when it's not more full.

My bars from the ED mold come out to 3 x 3.5 inches after planing and beveling. I don't want to cut them in half because then they are too skinny. Another option is to cut them into a normal bar size and a mini bar size and use the mini size for travel or as samples, but again that seems a bit wasteful as well. I already have enough end pieces to provide me with more than enough travel size bars to last me a lifetime!

It is not a bad thing, the size of the bars, just something to be aware of before purchase.

Latest posts

Back