Looking to adopt a dog?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You just never know where you will find a good home for a pup. Thought I'd post here because the right person could be on this forum or know someone who is!

Meet Gaius. He is a 4 year old, neutered and microchipped male American Tamaskan.

Through no fault of his own, he is in need of a new home. His current living situation is causing him excessive stress and he is acting out a little because of it, by occasionally pottying in the house and chewing himself. He is in a small apartment where he cannot get the exercise he needs and his owner is in a position where she has to live with family members and they do not want a large dog.

He is a very loving and friendly dog. He does well with other dogs, cats and children, although would probably do better in a home without overly rambunctious dogs as he has his limits regarding how much he wishes to play. He thinks he is a lap dog and is very affectionate.

He may have seasonal allergies as he occasionally chews his back end but this could also potentially be related to stress.

His current owner loves him but is in a situation where she is unable to keep him and really wants to find him a home where the family understands the needs of northern breed dogs.

He is crate trained although he does not need to be crated and does not suffer from separation anxiety.

He is currently located in Norfolk VA. The owner would be willing to travel a short distance to meet new owners but barring that, transport could potentially be arranged.
His current owner would like to be updated on how he is doing in a new home. She really does love him but is not in a position to keep him due to her living circumstances.

If you are interested in him or know someone who is, please contact me and I will put you in touch with his owner.

Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 4.26.27 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 4.26.34 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 4.26.40 PM.jpg

Oh, gosh! What a beauty!!! I hope he finds a good home. Tennessee (and no air conditioner) is not it. I wish though. Because three dogs just aren't enough for me...

(Although, I do know a good groomer that works wonders with a clipper... If she cannot find someone within a reasonable amount of time, let me know. I could consider fostering until someone suitable is found.)

Most of us who own the breed freak out about clippers on a double coated dog. Just makes us wince since it can change their fur. I don't know if she is in a rush to get the dog out of the house or not but I can check. It's super nice of you to offer to foster! My guess is she would love someone more or less local to take him, but our Tam community is spread pretty wide, so if he goes someplace far but she can still keep in touch, she'd work with it, I'm sure.

Most of us who own the breed freak out about clippers on a double coated dog. Just makes us wince since it can change their fur. I don't know if she is in a rush to get the dog out of the house or not but I can check. It's super nice of you to offer to foster! My guess is she would love someone more or less local to take him, but our Tam community is spread pretty wide, so if he goes someplace far but she can still keep in touch, she'd work with it, I'm sure.

You learn something new every day. I've never owned a "double coated" dog in my life. I had no idea about the issues involved with the guard hairs and undercoat. (I just read about it.) Interesting stuff. I always thought clipping huskies and other winter dogs in a hot climate would keep them cool. Obviously not. I've always had short haired shedders. Chase is a black long haired herder (I have no idea what she is) that I sometimes get clipped. I might rethink that now. I'm the one that worries about her outside in the heat. She doesn't seem to mind it at all, especially since she actually likes lying in the sun. When she gets hot, she lies under the deck or digs a hole to lie in. My dogs are way smarter than I am. About the only smart thing I really do for them is stick frozen bottles in their water dishes.

Anyway, I hope she is able to find a good home for her dog. If she cannot find someone and her family gives her an ultimatum, I'm willing to foster him until she can find a suitable home for him. (No clippers!!) Best of luck to her.

Darnit! You need a question mark on the end of your title. I read it as a statement. It was instant click bait to me as I have had my current foster for much longer than is usual for me. She's an animal cruelty seizure that needs an understanding home. I was not trying to hijack the thread...just disappointed that you were looking for a home, rather than a dog.

Last edited:
Understandable. I do have a question mark on the subject line but I imagine it was easy to pass over, when you are possibly finding a home. Fostering is difficult but rewarding. Pitties are more difficult to place than many dogs as well, so I totally get where you are coming from. No harm in posting your pics because sometimes people are looking for something very specific or they fall in love with what they see and are not looking specifically for a breed. Who knows? Many the two right people will come along!

Damnation that dog is built! What a bundle of muscle!

I'm going to forward the pictures to a friend of mine who lost her German Shepard last year. I was hoping the dog lived near you because it would have been easier for her to meet him. It would be a very long drive to VA. I'll let you know. He is such a cutie.

Our Elkhound could never be clipped either nor my daughters Siberian Husky. We were told it messes with the insulation system for these dogs. But that was a long time ago so maybe things change. Hope a home is found for the doggy

I work with a rescue as well. I will keep my eye out for these types of dog because we do see them come up for rehoming. This one was posted in July so the dog is already rehomed.

OHMYGAWD! I want him soooooooooo much! I have a northern breed dog but live in completely different area then VA. What a baby!

And the pitty is gorgeous! I am sure you'll both find wonderfur furever homes. <3

Jules, your PM is full and can't accept my message. I will keep you guys in mind. I just recently placed a gorgeous female husky mix. Big, super smart, great with dogs. Placed another 8 month old wolfy looking dog with a friend in Minnesota. "Scary looking" according to some but a real sweetheart. They come up relatively frequently and there are some very good methods to transport around.

Jules, your PM is full and can't accept my message. I will keep you guys in mind. I just recently placed a gorgeous female husky mix. Big, super smart, great with dogs. Placed another 8 month old wolfy looking dog with a friend in Minnesota. "Scary looking" according to some but a real sweetheart. They come up relatively frequently and there are some very good methods to transport around.

Thanks Newbie! Just cleared my messages too. Sorry I didn't realize how old the thread was

jules, your pm is full and can't accept my message. I will keep you guys in mind. I just recently placed a gorgeous female husky mix. Big, super smart, great with dogs. Placed another 8 month old wolfy looking dog with a friend in minnesota. "scary looking" according to some but a real sweetheart. They come up relatively frequently and there are some very good methods to transport around.

i am in minnesota!

Back