Looking into Insurance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkine

Reaction score
Someone is interested in selling my soap at her spa. Right now I mainly sell to family & friends, although there's really a lot more 'gifting' than 'selling' of soap, I wouldn't want to sell to a spa or elsewhere without insurance. Can anyone direct me where to look for very reasonable insurance?

I've been searching on the forum about insurance, but haven't had much luck finding an answer that applies to my question. I need to get back with the spa owner with an answer.

TIA for any help!

There are a few options out there. There is a company called RLI that is pretty reasonable as long as you don't exceed 5,000 in sales you can google them and give them an email and they will get back to you. For me it was about 250.00 per year. There is also the Handcrafted Soap and Cosmetic Guild as well as Indy Beauty. Check them out and see what is the best fit for you. I ended up gettin mine through the Handcrafted Soap and Cosmetic Guild. HTH.

I get mine through the HSCG as well. I'm on the membership committee; feel free to PM me if you have any questions about membership.

If you have a business and begin selling soap or bath and body products you need insurance to protect yourself from liability and possibly losing everything you own. Lawsuits are not likely to happen but in this day and age you never know. We are creating a product that could end up lye heavy and could possibly injure someone They could also have an allergic reaction. Also, there are venues that require proof of insurance in order to participate. I would not sell even 1 bar of soap or any bath & body products without having insurance.

I use RLI - $140 per year. I do some occasional sales to family and friends but I also donate to various charities and it's cheap peace of mind.

I use RLI - $140 per year. I do some occasional sales to family and friends but I also donate to various charities and it's cheap peace of mind.

Most of the other people that use RLI say their cost is around $250 a year. I wonder what the difference is that you only pay $140.

RLI is great, but if you go over $5000 in sales, you have to buy a separate product liability policy. Go to www.rlicorp.com, fill out the info and a person will get back to you. Remember that insurance also protects your inventory of raw materials and product you bring via car to shows. But it's especially good for those people who want to sue you because your soap isn't fudge :)

I just filled out an online form for a quote from RLI, hope it's not too expensive for me. Thank you Judy for the info.

RLI is great, but if you go over $5000 in sales, you have to buy a separate product liability policy. Go to www.rlicorp.com, fill out the info and a person will get back to you. Remember that insurance also protects your inventory of raw materials and product you bring via car to shows. But it's especially good for those people who want to sue you because your soap isn't fudge :)

Is this $5000. per month or year?
Thanks.

Would someone mind walking me through the website and showing me exactly where I would have to go to Sign up or is it easiest to call?

I also use RLI, around $250 a year. And yes, the $5,000 limit is for a year. I opted to stay pretty small, can't expand my line too much due to time constraints of full-time job. I've been really happy with them.

Go to their Products page, then look at General and Products liability options. If the website seems confusing to you, I'd give them a call. There's always a phone call involved anyway, so you might be able to do everything in a phone call.

Latest posts

Back