Looking for plans for shelves like these

Discussion in 'Other Crafts and DIY Projects' started by dixiedragon, Jan 11, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 11, 2019 #1

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

2. Jan 11, 2019 #2

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

I've seen them at Craft shows as well but never seen a how to do. Looks like you make 2 panels, one with wood framing at where you want your shelf to lay and with a bracket to allow folding for each end and then slide your shelves through the framing openings. I don't think it would be too hard to do if you've got the tools.

hungryhawaiian likes this.
  3. Jan 11, 2019 #3

BattleGnome

BattleGnome

BattleGnome

Hi I my (not handy) grandparents had similar shelves when I was little. You might be able to find an ikea model with dimensions in the instructions

4. Jan 11, 2019 #4

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

TeresaGG

Using my woodworking experience and knowing that these are being taken to shows, I think the latter portion are connected by hinges so they can be folded down to lie flat. These could also be made to have two different shelf configurations but that might be a bit difficult for a beginner. PM me if you want me to go into greater detail.

Deborah Long and Misschief like this.
  5. Jan 14, 2019 #5

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

They do make smaller shelves that fold up like this.
    But these are easy to make.
    The shelves are just slats, should be held together with a small strip of wood under it at the ends and middle to make stronger.
    Ends are folding together with a hinge.

I would use thicker wood for the slats as those are like 1/2 inch thick and soap can get heavy. Anything can get heavy.
    You can screw from the front and back on the frame. You don't have to do the fancy hiding screws on the sides... forgot what they call them.

I have been looking to do these too, just have no room to make them inside as it is Winter

6. Feb 11, 2019 #6

hungryhawaiian

hungryhawaiian

hungryhawaiian

Essentially these look like 2 hollowed bifold shoji screens aligned so that you can place wooden planks across it to make shelves. Somewhat genius if you ask me. View attachment 36160