Looking for loofah advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btrflygal65

Reaction score
Super stoked about using these loofah slices for my next batch! Homegrown too! Which soaps have set up the best with these? Does goats milk make em better, too? Also only planning on cp/cpop with this bc I feel it would adhere to the loofah better than hp. Ideas?
0501202340.jpg

Yes, CP is the way to go. I think HP wouldn't work very well.
The recipe isn't going to make a difference just because it has loofah in it. Use your favorite recipe and you'll be good to go.

Strongly considering either my rose/lemongrass lard & oo & omit the oatmeal that I usually add for exfoliation or...straight up goats milk & honey. Any suggestions for other fav recipes for moisturizing soap that might perform well inside a loofah disc? Do we know how it may affect cure time? Gel stage?

You want a recipe that will stay at a light trace for pouring so your loofa will become well covered. As mentioned any of your favorite. My favorite may be your least favorite.
During your experience with using loofah "molds", did u run into any issues with the soap actually staying IN the loofah? I can't help having nightmares of someone's soap falling out during their relaxing scrub-a-dub!

Interesting! I had never heard of loofah disc in bar soap! But doesn't it creates problems because of keeping the bar constantly wet? I imagine that loofah would absorb water when you use it and this usually isn't good for bar soaps

i have two batches that cured for 3 months now. i didn't have a chance to try them yet but i think they will hold fine!

I made a batch of loofah soap last year. Not very pretty, I know. I had to rebatch them later.
IMG-8300.jpg

I went with a earthy theme of rice bran oil and honey. Accidentally dropped too much honey in there which caused the batter to trace too fast, so make sure to pour at a thin trace! Rice bran probably sped up the trace as well. I wouldn't use milk as liquid as they can accelerate the trace. If you want it to be moisturizing maybe up the superfat or use milk powder.
An idea I had at the time was to drill small hole on the side of the loofah slices. Tedious work but it could connect the soap inside and outside the loofah, making them less likely to fall off. Never get around to try the idea tho lol.

Congratulations on your crop! Wish I could help you on the soap recipe side for this, but when I tried growing them a couple of years ago I had no luck. Do you have any growing tips?

Interesting! I had never heard of loofah disc in bar soap! But doesn't it creates problems because of keeping the bar constantly wet? I imagine that loofah would absorb water when you use it and this usually isn't good for bar soaps
Neither a loofah or a bar of soap should be kept wet all the time. If you've ever had a loofah back scrubber hanging in ur shower u can s
Congratulations on your crop! Wish I could help you on the soap recipe side for this, but when I tried growing them a couple of years ago I had no luck. Do you have any growing tips?
I was gifted the loofah along with some seeds. I was told that some folks clip off the end of the seed prior to germinating. So I was gonna try that or maybe scouring them. My friend harvested 100 loofahs from just 8 seeds! So needless to say, they need lots of room to sprawl like squash...they are actually in the same "family" of veggies, I think.

I've made CP ones with a pringles can. You definitely want to keep a thin trace. I did an ITPS. They came out really pretty, however, I am not a big fan. They're a little too rough for me. I'm growing some as well. I use them instead on sponges around the house. I have a bunch of seeds if anyone is interested.

My friend and mentor made loofah soaps years ago and they were a great seller for her. Is loofah a long crop? I've not heard anyone around me growing it so thinking only in the southern US? I will try to find seeds here in Canada and maybe my daughter can grow it in her greenhouse.

For anyone who may be interested.
Loofah belongs to the botanical family of Cucurbitaceae, which means that it's similar to pumpkins and courgettes. In my opinion what is very important in growing pumpinks, courgettes and also loofah, is to plant them in a soil very rich in nutrients. The best thing to do would be use mature manure in quite huge amount. If you can't provide manure you could also use vegetable compost, which is easily produced starting from vegetable refuaes and even kitchen leftovers. I use to plant courgettes directly over a heal of compost.

Then, if you have a greenhouse, I think it's possible to grow loofah even in Canada. Don't forget that it is a climbing plant, so give it somethong to climb on!

Latest posts

Back