Looking for Lined Printed Paper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsc

Reaction score
I am interested in making inserts for my bars to label ingredients, weight, etc then I am going to shrink wrap them. My concern is that the oils from the soap with penetrate the paper. I was thinking of using a waxed/lined paper that I can print on but I can't find any. Does anyone have suggestions or experience in packaging their soap this way?

The only time I've had any problem like this is when the vanilla FO I used in one batch discolored the label in a few spots. Otherwise it's been a non issue, including later batches with the same FO (I got it mixed in better). I use a heavyweight brochure paper and shrink wrap.

I wrap my soaps in tissue, and then a cigar band label. I've never had a problem with oils from the soap getting on the paper.

You're not finding anything because a waxed paper is incompatible with both major current printing technologies. Ink Jet (as least a commonly used in home printers) needs a substrate that will absorb ink. Laser needs something that can take the heat of the fuser without melting.

GSC -- In re-reading this thread, I find myself wondering if you've had this problem with your soap or if it's just an issue you're just thinking about. If you've seen this problem with your soap, why do you think you have this problem -- for example, do you use a very high superfat? Not trying to pick on you at all ... I'm only curious about your thoughts....

ETA -- I saw a video by Arianne Arsenault showing how she double wraps her melt and pour soaps with shrink film. The label is just paper laid between the layers of plastic to protect it from the M&P sweat. But that's another ball game compared to CP and HP soap.

Last edited:
I use a heavyweight brochure paper and shrink wrap.

Is this the same as cardstock? I'm actually having the same thoughts as the OP after I recently changed how I label my soaps. I've been placing clear packing tape over the back of my labels to keep soap from contacting my label as a means of protecting it. It sounds as if this PITA step may actually be unnecessary.

DeeAnna - Just trying to think ahead in case I have an issue. After curing my bars don't have a greasy feeling but I was concerned that the paper/cardstock might be affected by the saponified oils. I purchased a bar last year and the paper band had been lined (separate layer) with what appeared to be a waxed deli paper so that originally triggered my thoughts.

Thanks! I'll have to experiment and see if there's any interference with my labels then without the tape. Is your printer an ink jet or lazer?

You could cut freezer paper to fit in the printer and print on the unlined side with an inkjet printer. Do NOT try this with a laser printer, though, it will most likely permanently damage a laser printer by melting the plastic side of the freezer paper onto the fuser.

I'm wondering if you could reverse this. Print on regular paper, then spray the back with some kind of seal? A bit of a PITA, but maybe less so than wrapping twice?

But I think it's probably unnecessary. Wrap a few bars in the regular paper you want to use and see what happens.

For what it's worth, I wrap my soaps in glassine-type paper- the same kind of paper known as 'deli-wrap' or 'sandwich-wrap' paper- and they've never become stained with oil spots from my soap...not even with my 20% super-fatted bars.....no matter how long they've been wrapped (years for a few of them). Oh- and I also store my soaps naked in those cardboard baseball card storage boxes, and they haven't ever become stained with oil spots either.

IrishLass :)

I use vellum paper for my bands. Works well in my inkjet printer, and I've had no oil spots.

Hey, GSC -- Thinking ahead is always good! In thinking about my soaps and the other handcrafted soaps I've seen over the years, I don't think this is generally a problem. Won't say it's never, but unlikely.

Back