Looking for just the right Lavender.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xavalyss

Reaction score
I promise I searched, but still unfamiliar with the search function here. I'm wanting to make a baby/sensitive skin soap. I know, ideally, that no fragrance is the best option, but nobody wants that. Next best option is a Lavender EO. However I have yet to find a Lavender EO that I can stand. I'm thinking of a Lavender/Chamomile blend. I've seen several of these combo FOs on supplier sites.
So I'm looking for advice or recommendations Thanks

Lavender Chamomile from BB is nice for babies & Kids. Straight up dupe of the Lavender & Chamomile Huggies wipes.

For grown ups try Cedar and Lavender from The Flaming Candle.

I hate lavender but love these two FOs.

I would think that if you're concerned about sensitive skin and additives, you'd want to stay away from FOs entirely and use only EOs, no?
There is also some evidence of two very commonly used oils, lavender and tea tree oil, as being endocrine disruptors, and that neither should be used by pre-pubescent children, especially boys. Note that the "topical" use cited in the article is usually liquid soap or bubble bath, although sometimes lotion.

I would think that if you're concerned about sensitive skin and additives, you'd want to stay away from FOs entirely and use only EOs, no?
There is also some evidence of two very commonly used oils, lavender and tea tree oil, as being endocrine disruptors, and that neither should be used by pre-pubescent children, especially boys. Note that the "topical" use cited in the article is usually liquid soap or bubble bath, although sometimes lotion.
Some folks like me are much more sensitive to EO versus FO's so there is really no right or wrong. If allergies come into play natural botanicals can be very problematic.

That was interesting.

I like the Lavender 40/42 and Lavender, Bulgaria from New Direction Aromatics. The big barriers for NDA is they have a $100 purchase minimum and are currently not taking new orders with COVID. Still, if you are planning to get a big batch of EOs all at once there quality is top notch, and you can get 1/2 oz sizes of many different type of lavenderss for $3 each and see which one you like. Total aside, but other things I have used in gentle recipes have been colloidal oats, "oat tea", and heavy cream.

I like the Lavender 40/42 and Lavender, Bulgaria from New Direction Aromatics. The big barriers for NDA is they have a $100 purchase minimum and are currently not taking new orders with COVID.

You're right that NDA has temporarily suspended orders, so it might be a few weeks before they're back up to speed, but they have also recently stopped charging their fee for orders under $100, so you can order any amount from there. Still have to play for shipping.

If you don't like lavender why not go with another scent? A lot of baby products are heavily scented, from the popular "Dreft" laundry detergent to disposable diapers. I like unscented baby stuff best, but my favorite of the scented stuff was a pack wipes with just a hint of peach scent.

French lavender EO is veeery nice though, and worth a sniff if you haven't tried it. Chamomile sounds appealing too. I'm curious which lavender you'll end up liking in the end, so let us know.

I like Brambleberry's Hungarian Lavender EO. I find it smooth and pleasant- not particularly floral but not overly medicinal either. I'm also partial to the Lavender 30/32 that WSP carries- it's not as harsh/camphorous as the 40/42 (but its gotten pretty pricy.) Eden Botanicals has some gorgeous lavender varieties (the High Elevation and the Maillette are both beautiful!) but the price makes them more appropriate for perfumery than soap.

For FOs, WSP's Lavender Tonka is really nice.

What? Wow, I hadn't heard that yet. Thanks for the heads up ... running off to check this out. I use a lot of lavender and TTO.

Back