Looking for ingredient Butter blend recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for recipes to make basic butter blends used as a further ingredient in lotion and other recipes for example: argan butter, aloe butter, macadamia butter.

Their ingredients list the various main oil & Hydrogenated Vegetable oil or coconut oil.

Why muck up lotion with the hydrogenated veggie oils? Just use the straight oils. If you are making whipped butters I would use pure kinds of butter such as shea, mango, pumpkin, and avocado, etc adding in the argan oil macadamia oil etc. I just hate spending money on butters that are hydrogenated oils with some nice fancy oil added. You can also add veggie thix to thicken oils to a butter consistencyh.

I am making lotions using a recipe that calls for Argan butter & Aloe butter as ingredients. I would like to make my own butters rather than purchasing

It looks like there should be some sort of standard type recipe for these

Like cmzaha mentioned, you can look for a product called LipidThix-https://lotioncrafter.com/products/lipidthix-trade
It is combined with other oils or oil based extracts to create a butter.

One issue with aloe is the fact it cannot be oil. It is the gel inside the aloe which is basically a watery product. You will want to go a bit low with it in lotion. WSP has it in extract form, but it is water, glycerin, aloe juice, and citric acid. You could dissolve a little 100x aloe powder in your heat phase if you want aloe in your lotion. As for argan butter use argan oil and up you thicken a bit or use a thickening emulsifier such as Glyceryl Stearate (Gms-SE). Increasing Cetyl Alcohol, adding in a hard butter such as cocoa butter, kokum, illipe, etc. I do not like adding in bug food such into my lotions especially if you are new at lotion making lotion. Btw EDTA cannot be used with Glyceryl Stearate

If you are trying to make a lotion to take to a holiday market and not experienced at lotion making I would purchase a base from Essential by Catalina. They have some very luscious bases and make them in-house. Sadly they are out of their new pumpkin butter base but hopefully will run another soon.

I think many of those butters are a rip off. A little of the actual oil in a hydrogenated veggy oil which is usually soy.
I consider soy to be a cheap filler, won't use it or buy products with it.

Lotion is tricky, easy to muck up and it can go off if the recipe isn't right. My first few lotion attempts turned black with mold after about 4 months.
Using a premade base for a holiday sale is a great idea.

I did see that a supplier was using soy butter to make their “butters”. I am so thankful for all the comments. I’ve learned so much more from them - & how much more I dont know lol

I know of a Bramble Berry lotion that is nice but the way it is written it will go moldy within 2 months. With a couple of tweaks, it is actually lovely. Lotion is not just reading a recipe making and selling. Not in my book anyway. Of course, I am not saying anyone is doing that.

Funny thing, my gf opened a jar of a lotion she bought from a shop a few months ago and it reeks to high heaven. I told her if it stinks, it is probably bad and to toss it. Another one of the exact same type smells fine. Neither "look" off but what do I know.

The recipe Ive made is from Wsp. It has preservatives in it. Im making small batches at first as I learn. I’m not selling yet but hope to in the future.

Even with preservatives, things can go wrong. This is why extensive testing is needed in lotion making. Any good lotion recipe will include a preservative...but you have to make sure that the pH is correct and you don't have any ingredients that will inactivate your preservative in your recipe. You also have to be mindful of temperatures when you add most preservatives and not to reheat after you add it. You also have to worry about condensation in your container, storage conditions, etc.

Funny thing, my gf opened a jar of a lotion she bought from a shop a few months ago and it reeks to high heaven. I told her if it stinks, it is probably bad and to toss it. Another one of the exact same type smells fine. Neither "look" off but what do I know.
It could be that one lotion is older & is rancid. I have lots of my lotions around the house that I've kept for longevity testing. As far as I know, none have grown any visible nasties but almost all of them started smelling off around 8 months- year.

It could be that one lotion is older & is rancid. I have lots of my lotions around the house that I've kept for longevity testing. As far as I know, none have grown any visible nasties but almost all of them started smelling off around 8 months- year.
I don't personally think I would use the term reeks concerning rancidity. (unless it's something like butter hahaha). Reeks (and to the high heavens at that) sounds to me like a bacteria problem.

Latest posts

Back