Looking for help with Bug Stuff

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyLady

Reaction score
Republic of Texas Email: [email protected]
I would like to make some bug spray for myself and family -- not to sell. I have a variety of EOs on hand, but I need help with the base.

First let me say that I live in south central TX, and it is Summertime here. Temps are in the high 90s to low 100s, and humidity to match. It will be like this until late September.

I've read several posts suggesting soy, or another light oil as a base, especially since you can load the EOs in. However, in this heat and humidity, that is just not going to work. That will make what is already sticky and sweaty and yucky only more so. Add to that, both teenaged DDs have oily, acne-prone skin, and they won't touch anything too slick.

I know I can make a lotion bar, but am I correct in understanding that a bar won't accept the same amount of EOs (up to 50%) that straight oil would?

Are there any lotion making additives -- i.e., dimethicone, etc. that will help cut the oil and make it more easy to use?

I haven't gotten into lotion making (yet), but it's on the list. So it's an option if it's the best way to go.

Please feel free to express your opinions, and dispense advice. I appreciate all input.

TIA,
~HoneyLady~

You could try a body spray type product. I made one with 50% distilled water/50% high proof white liquor like vodka or everclear. You really should use preservative and some kind of emulsifier to keep the oils mixed in.
I can't remember how much EO's or preservatives to use but I'm sure you can find something on goggle. Sorry, I just woke up and my brain isn't quite in gear yet.

I have a Lush moisturizing body powder that is powder with tiny chips of cocoa butter mixed in. I wonder if a bug be gone butter bar mixed with powder would work?
From what I've read, to make a bar firmer, use more beeswax and/or cocoa butter.

Back